Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Notifications on Apple Watch and not on iPhone while listening to music come through Apple Watch not iPhone.

Basically I am listening to music using my iPhone and AirPods and normally without using my Apple Watch the notification sounds come out my AirPods but ever since I connected my Apple Watch the notifications play out of the Apple Watch which isn’t useful because I can’t hear them if I’m listening to music with AirPods. For example if I’m walking outside listening to music. A text tone will sound my Apple Watch and not through the AirPods. How do I get the notification sounds to come out the AirPods again whether my Apple Watch is connected or not.

Posted on Mar 31, 2021 12:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 31, 2021 1:21 PM

Keep the phone screen from locking. Or, lock the Watch (take it off and put it back on and don't enter the passcode). Otherwise, the notifications will only sound on the Watch. But, you should be able to feel them on the Watch.

7 replies

Apr 5, 2021 5:22 AM in response to L-o-u-i-s

L-o-u-i-s wrote:

Keep the phone screen from locking? That sounds so stupid. Do you expect my phone to be unlocked 24/7 or not enter the passcode on the watch incase I get a text haha. Seems so flawed.

I'm explaining to you how notifications work when you have both a Watch and an iPhone. Just to be clear:

iPhone locked/watch locked - notifications sound on iPhone

iPhone unlocked/watch unlocked - notifications sound on iPhone

iPhone locked/watch unlocked - notifications sound on watch

This is the way it has always worked.

Notifications on Apple Watch and not on iPhone while listening to music come through Apple Watch not iPhone.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.