Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

WHY HAS MY VIDEO BEEN LIMITED TO 15 SECONDS BY QUICK TIME??

I loaded a video performance that's at least a half an hour, yet it only displays and will play 15 SECONDS!

Another one will only play about the same, but one file will play the whole 30 minutes. All the files are a full gig in size!

If I open it in VLC it will play the entire set, but then the time setting on it just stops at 20 or 30 seconds, even though the video continues playing, making editing quite challenging, since I have no idea of the elapsed time! What is going on with both these apps to make them so quirky? Why won't they play the full length of the recording on QT, and why won't the time setting work with VLC??

I need to edit some shows and have them done by morning, and this is not letting me get anywhere... what's going on????

iMac 27″ 5K, macOS 10.15

Posted on Mar 31, 2021 9:10 PM

Similar questions

8 replies

Mar 31, 2021 10:38 PM in response to Saxman

Actually they will only play for 14 Seconds! Why is this happening? They're a gigabit, there's about a half hour's worth of video on it, it plays ok in VLC, but I don't know how to Trim or edit in VLC, and it would take me five minutes to do what I need to, using QT, but it's just not letting anything play beyond 14 lousy seconds! I wonder if I download the files again, from the CD, if QT will play them, although I don't know what would really be different...

Mar 31, 2021 11:44 PM in response to Yer_Man

They came from a DVD, and are VOB files. I'm currently shifting one to MP4 via Handbrake, as someone suggested. I did that using a different app, and iMovie would play it, but there's no sound! I've never had this much trouble playing a video, ever! Or for just trying to trim a video using QT.... But anytime I update my OS or something else, it's like nothing works as it did, and I have to spend all kinds of time, having to "re-learn" how to use apps I've used for 10/20 years.... smh

Apr 1, 2021 4:32 AM in response to Yer_Man

Yes, I realized that, and did that. I then created three clips, since my goal is to make three separate files, each with one song. Now the "help guide" says to just double click on one of the clips, and I can then trim it. However that ISN'T WORKING, when I click I can trim it, but it still shows the entire video, NOT three separate pieces/clips. So if I trim the first song, it's going to cut out the other two, and I'll have to repeat this whole thing again, What's not working right? How do I make three songs from the one video?

Apr 5, 2021 9:37 AM in response to Yer_Man

Yeah, that's what I realized I needed to do, but what a roundabout, clumsy way to have to do it! The QT help guide makes it sound so simple, just separate into "clips", then sever the clips, making it three separate files. I'll just have to make two more dupes and use Trim to cut out each one. C'mon Apple, this is not the intuitive way to do things...

WHY HAS MY VIDEO BEEN LIMITED TO 15 SECONDS BY QUICK TIME??

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.