Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Locked Notes

Hi everyone,

i have a Question regarding Notes.

I have a few locked notes, and all of a sudden I couldn’t open them anymore with Face ID.

I needed to type in my password, and I forgot it. Does anybody know why I couldn’t use Face ID anymore? If I make a new Note, Face ID works fine, but on my old ones it doesn’t.

Thanks.

Posted on Apr 1, 2021 3:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 1, 2021 3:40 AM

Please use the hint created by you while the password was created.

There is no way of resetting the Notes password.

The only option that you have is to keep trying as there is no limit on the number of attempts.

However, you can set a new password for your new notes, but for the old notes, you need to get the old password only.

If you have imported some notes from Old iPhone to the new one then you will have to attach the password to the new Touch ID / Face ID on your new iPhone. At some given time you must have created a password and enabled touch Id / Face ID to the password. Any Notes created thereafter will only use your Touch ID / Face ID. Because of this, it is very likely that you may not recall the password now.

Face ID / Touch IDs are not transferable from one device to another.

Watch the 2 GIFs below about locked Notes.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 1, 2021 3:40 AM in response to mathis192

Please use the hint created by you while the password was created.

There is no way of resetting the Notes password.

The only option that you have is to keep trying as there is no limit on the number of attempts.

However, you can set a new password for your new notes, but for the old notes, you need to get the old password only.

If you have imported some notes from Old iPhone to the new one then you will have to attach the password to the new Touch ID / Face ID on your new iPhone. At some given time you must have created a password and enabled touch Id / Face ID to the password. Any Notes created thereafter will only use your Touch ID / Face ID. Because of this, it is very likely that you may not recall the password now.

Face ID / Touch IDs are not transferable from one device to another.

Watch the 2 GIFs below about locked Notes.

Apr 1, 2021 4:08 AM in response to SravanKrA

Hello,

thanks for your answer.

The point is that I don’t have a new phone. From one moment to another, I couldn’t use Face ID anymore on the Notes, on which I have used it since I created them. It just happened.

Also, as you can see on the picture, I don’t get the chance to use my hint. It just doesn’t show it to me, and I’m pretty sure I’ve used a hint.

Thanks.

Apr 1, 2021 4:49 AM in response to mathis192

The fact that you can use Face ID for newly added password protected notes but not the old ones, means the configuration since the old notes where created has changed and replaced with one that applies to new notes you compose after that change. In order for new configuration to work with those old notes, you need to unlock them first and update each of them to use your new configuration.

The point is, to unlock the password protected note you need to use the password that the note is locked with. Face ID isn’t a replacement for a password; it’s a feature that allows quicker access to something that it is secured by password.

Locked Notes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.