Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can not open my locked notes using face ID

I have 2 notes that I locked before. I used to unlock them using my face ID, but suddenly, I'm not able to do so. The locked note ask me to enter a password instated of the Face ID. I don't remember that I had a password for it.

These are very important notes for me, I hope you can help me retrieve them.

iPhone 11 Pro Max

Posted on Mar 5, 2021 12:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 5, 2021 12:38 PM

Longer version of above (correct) answer...

Unfortunately for this discussion, Apple uses AES data encryption to protect the data, and the forgotten password is the key to the data decryption process. Without that key, the data cannot be decrypted.

Per Apple, To unlock a note, you need to enter the password that it's locked with. If you forgot the password, Apple can't help you regain access to your locked notes. You can create a new password, but this won’t give you access to your old notes. A new password will let you password protect any notes that you create going forward with the new password.

Without that password, you're left to locate tools for and to brute-force the AES password to attempt note access; to attempt decryption using known and then all possible passwords. Brute-forcing is somewhere between slow and extremely slow and can require anything from days to decades to centuries to locate the password (if ever), depending on how robust the chosen password was.

Generally, Face ID and Touch ID are not substitutes for a passcode or password, as the encryption is based on the password. Face ID and Touch ID are means that can avoid needing to enter the passcode or password quite as often.

If the hint doesn't suffice, a possible alternative means for recalling the password might be some of the other saved passwords and passcodes you've used from the same timeframe, using the Keychain Access tool on Mac or using Settings > Passwords on iPhone or iPad, and see if any of those other passwords or passcodes helps recall the forgotten password.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 5, 2021 12:38 PM in response to eka2004

Longer version of above (correct) answer...

Unfortunately for this discussion, Apple uses AES data encryption to protect the data, and the forgotten password is the key to the data decryption process. Without that key, the data cannot be decrypted.

Per Apple, To unlock a note, you need to enter the password that it's locked with. If you forgot the password, Apple can't help you regain access to your locked notes. You can create a new password, but this won’t give you access to your old notes. A new password will let you password protect any notes that you create going forward with the new password.

Without that password, you're left to locate tools for and to brute-force the AES password to attempt note access; to attempt decryption using known and then all possible passwords. Brute-forcing is somewhere between slow and extremely slow and can require anything from days to decades to centuries to locate the password (if ever), depending on how robust the chosen password was.

Generally, Face ID and Touch ID are not substitutes for a passcode or password, as the encryption is based on the password. Face ID and Touch ID are means that can avoid needing to enter the passcode or password quite as often.

If the hint doesn't suffice, a possible alternative means for recalling the password might be some of the other saved passwords and passcodes you've used from the same timeframe, using the Keychain Access tool on Mac or using Settings > Passwords on iPhone or iPad, and see if any of those other passwords or passcodes helps recall the forgotten password.

Can not open my locked notes using face ID

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.