Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphone locked after failed update

I was trying to sync my iTunes library to my iPhone. While attempting iTunes wanted an update so I said yes. Update was happening fine for about 1/2 hour or so then my iPhone turned into a black and white graphic of my sync cord and a rectangle (computer graphic) and my phone is locked. I turned off my phone then on and the graphic is still there.

I need my phone asap and wondering how to unlock it. Once unlocked, I will not try to update as I don't want this to happen again. Not sure why the update failed.

Please help!

Liz Powers

iPhone 8, iOS 14

Posted on Apr 1, 2021 8:07 AM

11 replies

Apr 2, 2021 4:08 AM in response to Pepelepew1

Pepelepew1 wrote:

By locked I mean that a black and white graphic appeared on my iPhone that looks like a sync cord and a rectangle box in white over a black background. I can not access my phone.

OK I already answered that in first post.

Stuck on Restore screen

If you see the Restore screen on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

If that fails more than a few times the phone is broken so you need to arrange a repair. Your data will almost certainly be lost since your last regular backup (I back mine up every week)

https://support.apple.com/iphone/repair/service

Anything other than Screen or Battery will be a replacement phone and the price will depend on your warranty status.

Apr 1, 2021 11:10 AM in response to LD150

I still need help. nothing I've done to update has worked. I am hesitating doing a "restore" as I am not certain if my iPhone is backed up and working about losing data and passwords.

Tell me if I need to purchase software so I don't have to restore?

or?

I have an appointment on my phone today as my husband is out of town and I have no land line at my house.

Thank you.

Liz Powers

Apr 1, 2021 11:23 AM in response to Pepelepew1

With all the similar remedies from the Apple KB database, if you get a choice between Update and Restore then select Update to keep the data.

If Restore is the only option then the phone will be wiped. Your last iTunes backup will be the only option for data restore.

I am unaware of any rescue software but someone may come by with a suggestion.

iphone locked after failed update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.