Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I back up my current 10.9.5 hard drive so that I can then create two bootable partitions - one with 10.9.5 (for legacy software) and one with 10.14

I need to change my MBP (late 2013) hard drive from one 10.9.5 startup disk to two bootable partitions: 10.9.5 and 10.14.6.

I have legacy hardware on my current HD, so I'd like to know the best way (preferably without buying more software) to clone my HD to an external backup so that I can then clone it back to the 10.9.5 bootable partition on my MBP.

What's the best way to do this?

MacBook Pro Retina

Posted on Apr 1, 2021 9:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 1, 2021 10:19 AM

You say that you have legacy hardware on your current HD. Do you mean to say legacy software? You seem to be asking several questions without being fully clear as to what you want to accomplish. Here are my suggestions. Do you have an external drive? if so, what is it being used for? If not, then you need to get one to be used for your backups. Cloning your hard drive will provide a copy of all your HD files as well as a second operating system (10.9.5), which is good to have. If you also wish to have another operating system, 10.14.6, then I would download and install it on a separate partition of the external drive. So, according to what I've suggested, the following steps would be:

1. Use or purchase the external disk.
  2. Format it into two partitions.
  3. On one partition clone (copy) all of your hard drive including the 10.9.5 operating system.
  4. On the other partition , download and install the 10.14.6 operating system.

Then you can select the 10.14.6 OS as a startup OS any time you need to. I hope this addresses what you were wanting to do. If not, then please reply with clarification.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 1, 2021 10:19 AM in response to __comet__

You say that you have legacy hardware on your current HD. Do you mean to say legacy software? You seem to be asking several questions without being fully clear as to what you want to accomplish. Here are my suggestions. Do you have an external drive? if so, what is it being used for? If not, then you need to get one to be used for your backups. Cloning your hard drive will provide a copy of all your HD files as well as a second operating system (10.9.5), which is good to have. If you also wish to have another operating system, 10.14.6, then I would download and install it on a separate partition of the external drive. So, according to what I've suggested, the following steps would be:

1. Use or purchase the external disk.
  2. Format it into two partitions.
  3. On one partition clone (copy) all of your hard drive including the 10.9.5 operating system.
  4. On the other partition , download and install the 10.14.6 operating system.

Then you can select the 10.14.6 OS as a startup OS any time you need to. I hope this addresses what you were wanting to do. If not, then please reply with clarification.

How do I back up my current 10.9.5 hard drive so that I can then create two bootable partitions - one with 10.9.5 (for legacy software) and one with 10.14

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.