Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Keyboard shortcut problems under Big Sur:

We are having serious problems assigning a keyboard shortcut to the “Tags…” named “Etiketter…” in Norwegian. We use it ALOT but after the Big Sur “update” we lost it. The “ellipses” (option+:) is the same as in English except for the key combination making it. The ellipse is put at the end with no space between the last letter and the “ellipses”). The shortcut command given is “Shift+Command+E”. We also tried tree punctations. When pressing the combination gives the error plipp sound. Thats it. We tried other key combination with no luck. The yellow warning badge does not appear when given conflicting keyboard shortcuts either.

The only info we found on the issue is this: (Witch we done)!

https://support.apple.com/en-euro/guide/mac-help/mchlp2271/11.0/mac/11.0

System:

Big Sur 11.2.3 on

M1 Mac Mini 8/8 - 16GB - 2TB SSD

Norwegian keyboard - Magic Keyboard with numerals

Any tips?

Mac mini, macOS 11.2

Posted on Apr 1, 2021 10:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 1, 2021 11:02 AM

The key combination for the eclipse (…) - Option + ; - still works for me. Boot into Safe Mode according to Start up your Mac in safe mode - Apple Support and see if the problem persists. Reboot normally and check again.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 10 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 1, 2021 11:02 AM in response to Norway

The key combination for the eclipse (…) - Option + ; - still works for me. Boot into Safe Mode according to Start up your Mac in safe mode - Apple Support and see if the problem persists. Reboot normally and check again.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 10 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

Apr 1, 2021 12:03 PM in response to VikingOSX

I understand what he's trying to do now. It's possible to do what he wants with a macro app like Keyboard Maestro. One can set a key combination or text string (like the example below using xe) to enter the tag in the info window or any where the cursor is placed:

This is what the Keyboard Maestro macro looks like:

I've found Keyboard Maestro to be my most valuable utility.

Keyboard shortcut problems under Big Sur:

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.