You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

relocate my home folder onto an external drive from an M1 Mac mini

This related to an earlier question I posted. Is it possible to relocate my user Home folder to a separate external hard drive on a M1 Mac mini? Keeping everything else on the Mac mini SSD 512GB drive?

There must be a way, fingers crossed. Thanks

Posted on Apr 1, 2021 4:13 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 1, 2021 8:30 PM

This subject is also something I was once interested in and then decided to not go the route. This is because my M1 Mac Mini has an internal SSD which is faster than the external SSD. I elected to only store media and documents on the external drive.

For you, however, I have found this ➔ Move Your Mac's Home Folder to a New Location on Lifewire.com. Read the article. It has detailed steps on exactly how to accomplish what you are looking for. Good Luck.

Axel F.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 1, 2021 8:30 PM in response to MabCore

This subject is also something I was once interested in and then decided to not go the route. This is because my M1 Mac Mini has an internal SSD which is faster than the external SSD. I elected to only store media and documents on the external drive.

For you, however, I have found this ➔ Move Your Mac's Home Folder to a New Location on Lifewire.com. Read the article. It has detailed steps on exactly how to accomplish what you are looking for. Good Luck.

Axel F.

relocate my home folder onto an external drive from an M1 Mac mini

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.