Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Canon Printer Belly Up in Big Sur on a M1 Mini!

Canon G4010 multifunction printer was working great in Catalina, stopped showing print queue and scanning in Big Sur, but still prints fine, albeit without a queue ever showing. The think that irks me, is the scanner going inop - always a struggle on an apple machine!

The strange thing is that I have the same situation on a 2015 MBP running the same version of Big Slur. Any help? thx!!!

Jigs

Posted on Apr 1, 2021 6:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 4, 2021 8:42 PM

ha! u know that first tip, it did something even though there was no visual indication and the version number of the driver did not change, but the screens did, slightly. Now I have the print queue back and everything works fine but the scanner part of this wifi multifunction printer I DO NOT WANT TO GET RID OF, ever (last printer I will buy in my lifetime). Here is my fix to everything but this on the M1 - note, scanner works fine on Intel, just not M1 machines...

FIX STEPS

1. reset printing system via apple printer/scanner interface
  2. install canon fix from above
  3. install canon multifunction (not the other choices)

That did it for me, with again, all but the M1 being able to scan on this printer.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 4, 2021 8:42 PM in response to coocooforcocoapuffs

ha! u know that first tip, it did something even though there was no visual indication and the version number of the driver did not change, but the screens did, slightly. Now I have the print queue back and everything works fine but the scanner part of this wifi multifunction printer I DO NOT WANT TO GET RID OF, ever (last printer I will buy in my lifetime). Here is my fix to everything but this on the M1 - note, scanner works fine on Intel, just not M1 machines...

FIX STEPS

1. reset printing system via apple printer/scanner interface
  2. install canon fix from above
  3. install canon multifunction (not the other choices)

That did it for me, with again, all but the M1 being able to scan on this printer.

Apr 3, 2021 11:58 AM in response to coocooforcocoapuffs

Hello, coocooforcocoapuffs!

After reviewing your post, it seems like you are running into some printing issues. We definitely understand that when your printers aren’t working with your Mac as expected, it can be a concern and we'd love to help. Let’s start by reviewing this article: Solve printing problems on Mac.

Please let us know if you have follow-up questions about this issue, or if the issue remains unresolved. Have a great day!

Apr 4, 2021 5:58 PM in response to jigsfrom washington

Have you tried the open source pathway?

1. Connect the printer via USB
  2. Apple menu -> System Preferences -> Print and Scan
  3. Remove the printer in there, and use the add new printer command, but with a twist….
  • Use the Option key when you click the + symbol below the list of printers box.

This will force the operating system to use built-in open source drivers to link your printer.

If it doesn't work, yes, I'd move on to a known Big Sur compatible printer that uses the same ink if you can find one.

Apr 2, 2021 9:00 PM in response to coocooforcocoapuffs

The "you do not have permission" error you got in the bottom image usually indicates the Gatekeeper got upset.

Go to Apple menu -> System Preferences -> Security and Privacy to see if it is asking for permission there.

If not, it doesn't look like it supports Big Sur yet, but there is https://my.canon/en/support/0200540004/4?model=2316C

support for Catalina with an update that came out yesterday.

have you applied the update?

Apr 4, 2021 8:33 AM in response to Eric--F

hi eric thx for that, but i've been down that page (or an older version) so many times in the past I have it memorized, like my memory checklists when I fly. So, no, I don't think any of that is a problem. I tried the update on two big surs on the same network hooked to the same printer, that both worked fine in Catalina and prior, but now don't. The setup app bombs on both machines, although the M1 gets a bit further. looks like a permission snafu to me...

Cheers,

Jigs

Canon Printer Belly Up in Big Sur on a M1 Mini!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.