Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

scanner stopped working after upgrade to OS Ventura

I use a Fuji Xerox DocuPrintM225dw. After upgrading to OS Ventura, the printing function remains but the scanner does not seem to connect any more. I select "open scanner" and the scanner screen opens, but then nothing happens. I have tried removing and reinstalling the printer, but the problem remains.

MacBook Pro 13″

Posted on Feb 26, 2023 8:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 27, 2023 11:37 AM

Your Fuji-Xerox DocuPrint M225dw (when networked) is supported by Apple's built-in AirPrint solution that requires no vendor drivers to provide device functionality. I had to reset the print system for my different vendor device after upgrading to Ventura.

With the M225dwI powered and connected, visit Settings > Printers & Scanners panel, click on the DocuPrint M225dw entry. That will open a new panel on which you would click Remove Printer… That will pop a dialog with Remove Printer in red letters. Click that. Next, the Printers & Scanners panel will reappear, where you click Add Printer, Scanner, or Fax… An Add Printer panel appears and because the M225dw is networked, Apple's Bonjour service will detect it and show an entry for it on this panel. Click that entry, and the Use: selector will become active and automatically invoke Auto Select (AirPrint). You should now see the M225dw entry on this Use: selector and can click Add. You will now see a new Printers entry for your device with a green idle status indicator.

I just removed and re-added my own printer on macOS Ventura 13.2.1 as a test of the above instructions.

You can again click on that Printers entry to reach a panel where you can click Set Default Printer, and not being familiar with the M225DW, there may be controls there to configure the scanning feature.

Once you have the above completed, Apple's Image Capture should be able to scan to it. The optional VueScan Professional software does not list the Fuji-Xerox DocuPrint M225dw as a supported scanner — only selected Xerox Documate, Phaser, Versalink, and WorkCentre devices.

Just a footnote, that Fuji-Xerox shows support for macOS 12.*, but not macOS 13 for the DocuPrint M225dw. They have released firmware updates, and have an AirPrint guide available too.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 27, 2023 11:37 AM in response to wwittwer

Your Fuji-Xerox DocuPrint M225dw (when networked) is supported by Apple's built-in AirPrint solution that requires no vendor drivers to provide device functionality. I had to reset the print system for my different vendor device after upgrading to Ventura.

With the M225dwI powered and connected, visit Settings > Printers & Scanners panel, click on the DocuPrint M225dw entry. That will open a new panel on which you would click Remove Printer… That will pop a dialog with Remove Printer in red letters. Click that. Next, the Printers & Scanners panel will reappear, where you click Add Printer, Scanner, or Fax… An Add Printer panel appears and because the M225dw is networked, Apple's Bonjour service will detect it and show an entry for it on this panel. Click that entry, and the Use: selector will become active and automatically invoke Auto Select (AirPrint). You should now see the M225dw entry on this Use: selector and can click Add. You will now see a new Printers entry for your device with a green idle status indicator.

I just removed and re-added my own printer on macOS Ventura 13.2.1 as a test of the above instructions.

You can again click on that Printers entry to reach a panel where you can click Set Default Printer, and not being familiar with the M225DW, there may be controls there to configure the scanning feature.

Once you have the above completed, Apple's Image Capture should be able to scan to it. The optional VueScan Professional software does not list the Fuji-Xerox DocuPrint M225dw as a supported scanner — only selected Xerox Documate, Phaser, Versalink, and WorkCentre devices.

Just a footnote, that Fuji-Xerox shows support for macOS 12.*, but not macOS 13 for the DocuPrint M225dw. They have released firmware updates, and have an AirPrint guide available too.

Feb 27, 2023 10:09 AM in response to wwittwer

I am sorry you are having scanner problems. If you will bear with me, I will offer some things to consider which may be useful. Whenever we install an operating system upgrade or some OS updates, printers and scanners will often stop working. Then a new OS compliant software must be installed for the scanner. Experience has shown that many printer/scanner manufacturers are very slow to provide updated software. What you can do is to thoroughly check the vendor's web site for updated compliant software that works. If none is available, then you should ask when it will be released. If that doesn't work, you can try scanning using Apple's Image Capture app. It will scan, but is not full featured. Another alternative is to download and try the full featured scanner software from VueScan. You can try it for free. It will show a watermark until you purchase it. I bought it and can recommend it. I have no association with VueScan. Good luck.

VueScan Scanner Software for macOS Catalina, Windows 10, and Linux

Feb 27, 2023 4:54 PM in response to VikingOSX

Thank you very much for our detailed response. Very helpful. - I followed your instructions and after looking for "Image Capture" in the App Store, I downloaded an app called "Text Scanner"which is now listed as "Image Capture" in my Application list. The app recognises the printer and all the usual scan details/options show up in. However, when I click Overview to enable me to select a scan area, I eventually get the message "an error occurred while communicating with the scanner". - So still no luck.

scanner stopped working after upgrade to OS Ventura

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.