Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ipad Pro 11" 2020 doesn't detect S27H850 monitor as a screen but as a USB-Hub (via USB-C)

Dear community,

i specifically bought the ipad pro 11" 2020 because of it's ability to connect to an external monitor via usb-c. Unfortunately im still struggling to get it working.

When i connect it to my Samsung S27H850 USB-C Monitor it starts charging and all usb-devices linked to the monitors usb-hub get connected to the ipad. But the screen stays black.

What i did so far:

1. Disconnect everything from the Monitor that is not needed (all USB-Devices)
  2. Im using the USB-C cable that was delivered with the Monitor and its connected to the proper USB-C display-Input port
  3. Doublechecked the USB-C ability of the monitor. --> i also bought this monitor because usb-C makes things so much easier.
  4. I dont have any other usb-c device right now to try it again, but i had a smartphone connected to the monitor via usb-c with no issues last year

I know there is a workaround with a usb-C to hdmi adapter but this is not the way i want to go. (I paid a lot of money for this setup and its so dissapointing that i dont even know why its not working.)

Any ideas to fix this?

Marlei

iPad Pro 11-inch Wi-Fi

Posted on Apr 2, 2021 12:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 2, 2021 5:12 AM

You will need to seek assistance directly from Samsung technical support - with whom you should be able to verify compatibility (or not) with your iPad Pro.

Many monitors incorporate a USB Hub to facilitate connection of USB peripheral devices to the host computer - but will not necessarily support DisplayPort over USB. Monitors that include a USB Hub may require the monitor input to be connected via another port, such as a dedicated HDMI, VGA, DisplayPort or other input.

Apple market a USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter for iPad:

https://store.apple.com/uk/xc/product/MUF82ZM/A

There are also may other adapter/hubs available from third-party manufacturer’s - such as Anker

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 2, 2021 5:12 AM in response to Marlei_

You will need to seek assistance directly from Samsung technical support - with whom you should be able to verify compatibility (or not) with your iPad Pro.

Many monitors incorporate a USB Hub to facilitate connection of USB peripheral devices to the host computer - but will not necessarily support DisplayPort over USB. Monitors that include a USB Hub may require the monitor input to be connected via another port, such as a dedicated HDMI, VGA, DisplayPort or other input.

Apple market a USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter for iPad:

https://store.apple.com/uk/xc/product/MUF82ZM/A

There are also may other adapter/hubs available from third-party manufacturer’s - such as Anker

Apr 2, 2021 2:15 AM in response to Marlei_

Having looked briefly at the specifications of your monitor, I see no mention of DisplayPort being supported over USB. The monitor does, however, support DisplayPort via a dedicated port - and HDMI. The monitor specs list a USB hub, but not DisplayPort over USB-C.

Your iPad Pro supports monitor connections using DisplayPort over USB-C, or HDMI via an appropriate media adapter.

Apr 2, 2021 5:01 AM in response to LotusPilot

I think you are right. The product data sheet doesnt explicitly state there is display port over USB. It just lists USB as "Input signal" (at least on the german datasheet, couldnt find one in english).

But the Samsungs website indicates it is possible to use the usb-c supports display port:

I still believe in the theory of a specification issue but its not the display port over usb-c support in general. (I had a Xperia P30 lite connected via usb-c to the monitor and it perfectly showed the screen)

Ipad Pro 11" 2020 doesn't detect S27H850 monitor as a screen but as a USB-Hub (via USB-C)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.