Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AOL mail stopped working

My iPad and iPhone suddenly stopped accessing my mail on aol. Message says need to enter password but my password is correct. This started March 31 2021. My mail account works fine through other computers so it is not the problem

iPad Pro, iPadOS 14

Posted on Apr 2, 2021 4:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 2, 2021 4:31 AM

In common with many other Mail providers, AOL now use App Specific Passwords to access IMAP or POP3 mailboxes.

The Mail App on each of your devices, such as your iPad, requires a unique password to be generated from within the AOL account. This App Specific password intentionally differs from your AOL account password - and can only be used to access your AOL mail.

More information about AOL’s App Specific Passwords can be found here:

https://help.aol.com/articles/allow-apps-that-use-less-secure-sign-in?guccounter=1

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 2, 2021 4:31 AM in response to Decampbe

In common with many other Mail providers, AOL now use App Specific Passwords to access IMAP or POP3 mailboxes.

The Mail App on each of your devices, such as your iPad, requires a unique password to be generated from within the AOL account. This App Specific password intentionally differs from your AOL account password - and can only be used to access your AOL mail.

More information about AOL’s App Specific Passwords can be found here:

https://help.aol.com/articles/allow-apps-that-use-less-secure-sign-in?guccounter=1

Apr 7, 2021 8:21 PM in response to LotusPilot

I have the same problem occurred to me today. Several months ago I went through the steps in the link you provided (https://help.aol.com/articles/allow-apps-that-use-less-secure-sign-in?guccounter=1). On all my apple devices - iMac, Macbook air, iPhone & iPad - and on a Windows machine with Thunderbird, I deleted the AOL account and re-added to get the new security protocol established. It worked for several months, but this morning all of the Apple devices stopped working. The Thunderbird account on Windows is still working. The password has not changed. Any other ideas?

Thanks

May 5, 2021 4:56 PM in response to Ray Earley

Yes... same problem here. I accessed my AOL mail account via Safari, my iPhone 12 Pro and my MacBook Pro.

About 10 days ago, I was suddenly unable to access my AOL mail account via Safari. And today, while I was able to get email on my iPhone in the mornings, sometime after lunch, my iPhone began spitting out errors for an invalid password when using my iPhone.

Now I'm down to my MacBook email client only.

Tried calling AOL support and actually got through. But when I mentioned "APP-Specific password" to support, she had no idea what that was. I'm sure you can figure out how that call went...

May 8, 2021 10:22 AM in response to DF0807

I don’t know if it will help but it solved my problem of not being able to access my aol emails through safari on my iPad for the last 4 days. .

Go to the App Store there are 2 apps:

one for email,

and another for aol emails, news etc.

Both of which were open.

Delete the one for emails. Then reinstall it. Back to normal here. I hope it works for you.

AOL mail stopped working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.