Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Numbers on MacOS: Set language to US English?

I live in the UK, but I need my Numbers sheet to use US English spellings.

I've tried everything, but the inline spelling seems to check everything as UK English, so any US spellings get flagged up as errors, which makes proofing my work harder than it should be.

How can I force Numbers to only use US English spellings for the inline spell checker?

Steps I have tried:

1. Going to Apple menu > System Preferences > Language & Region

I have deleted all languages other than US English and Japanese. The region is set to UK, because I prefer UK units:

2. In Numbers I have gone to File > Advanced > Language and Region:

For Language, it only gives me the option of English (There is no US English option). However, I have set the region to US.

Any ideas?

Environment: MacOS 10.14.6,

Numbers version 10.1 (6913)

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Apr 2, 2021 6:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 2, 2021 8:41 AM

I have spell checking turned off apparently and can't figure out how to turn it back on to test this out (it automatically puts the red underline under misspelled words, right?) but...

If you go to Edit/Spelling and Grammar/Show Spelling and Grammar, at the bottom of the window that pops up is a choice of what language to use for spelling and grammar. British English and US English are both options. Maybe that will do it?

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 2, 2021 8:41 AM in response to big_smile

I have spell checking turned off apparently and can't figure out how to turn it back on to test this out (it automatically puts the red underline under misspelled words, right?) but...

If you go to Edit/Spelling and Grammar/Show Spelling and Grammar, at the bottom of the window that pops up is a choice of what language to use for spelling and grammar. British English and US English are both options. Maybe that will do it?

Numbers on MacOS: Set language to US English?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.