Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is there an easy way to display the number of files or documents per folder in Pages?

I have a lot of notes organized in folders in Pages, and I would like to figure out which folders have the most documents in them, most popular.

Is there an easy way to do this?

Also, I use an iMac and an Apple mouse, so I don't know how to right click and left click, etc.

Thanks in advance!

iMac, macOS 10.12

Posted on Apr 2, 2021 7:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 2, 2021 8:03 AM

The Pages open panel does not report any quanta of files found in any given folder, so it is useless for your intended purpose. Instead, use the Finder Window to get file counts of each selected folder containing your Pages documents. In the Finder View menu > √ Show Status Bar and √ Show Path Bar.

Now, with a Finder window open, navigate to your respective folder containing the Pages documents, and when you double-click to open that folder, a file count will appear at the bottom of that open window. If you have folders within folders, then Finder will count everything and inflate the file count. If this is the case, you can click in the Finder window's search field and enter the following:

kind:pages

and it will exclude anything not a Pages document in the folder count.

If you are using an Apple Magic Mouse, in System Preferences > Mouse, you want to select Secondary click to enable a right-click to expose secondary menus.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 2, 2021 8:03 AM in response to G4RAY

The Pages open panel does not report any quanta of files found in any given folder, so it is useless for your intended purpose. Instead, use the Finder Window to get file counts of each selected folder containing your Pages documents. In the Finder View menu > √ Show Status Bar and √ Show Path Bar.

Now, with a Finder window open, navigate to your respective folder containing the Pages documents, and when you double-click to open that folder, a file count will appear at the bottom of that open window. If you have folders within folders, then Finder will count everything and inflate the file count. If this is the case, you can click in the Finder window's search field and enter the following:

kind:pages

and it will exclude anything not a Pages document in the folder count.

If you are using an Apple Magic Mouse, in System Preferences > Mouse, you want to select Secondary click to enable a right-click to expose secondary menus.

Apr 2, 2021 10:27 AM in response to G4RAY

In the Finder list view (e.g ⌘+2), you probably already have a Size column, just not adjacent to your filename column. Scroll to the right in your Finder List view, and if you see a Size column heading, click once on that heading name and then drag left until it is adjacent to your Name column, and then release. When done, you will see a format like the following that is a sampling of my home directory folders.

There is no File Count heading selection in Finder. You would have to write code to get the Pages document count in any given folder or list of folders.

Apr 2, 2021 8:10 AM in response to VikingOSX

Awesome! That is helpful.

Is there a way that you can see file counts side by side in a list? With this method, it is one folder at a time.

I was hoping there was a way to list all of the folders in a given folder, and hoped there was then a way to see quantity of files out to the right (in list view) in the same way that you can see columns for date, size, etc.

Thanks again!

Is there an easy way to display the number of files or documents per folder in Pages?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.