Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Since the loss of the chat feature/iChat, is there any convenient way to do text messaging between Macs on a LAN these days?

I'm looking for a simple chat or intercom solution between 25 odd terminals, some on wifi, some hardwired on our network. a few years back, we used "Shush" and mic app somehow to function as an intercom with an office down the hall, but I don't recall now how we set that up. The purpose would be to avoid email, assume no iOS contact, no iPhone usage, just a text or intercom function from one mac terminal on a LAN to another, preferably with some kind of audible notification, ideally with an audio intercom function.

Any ideas from someone in the know? Thanks.

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Apr 2, 2021 7:35 AM

14 replies

Apr 2, 2021 9:52 AM in response to Rudegar

Thanks, I've understood that, but those changes came with the requirement to register each terminal to a phone account, functioning basically as an SMS device. The old iChat used to use Bonjour to recognize and communicate with any terminals registered on the LAN. I'm looking for something with that ease of use.

I believe someone explained that the changes were instituted by Apple as part of a larger security enhancing overview. But, it is sorely missed, was an easy way to share screens, documents etc with the functionality of Messages on an IOS device, but without having to create a separate phone account for each terminal. I have over 20 terminals that are shared, depending on who is using it (medical office with treatment rooms and workstations.) Some kind of intercom app is really what I'm looking for.

Apr 2, 2021 10:00 AM in response to yebdox

yebdox wrote:

Thanks, I've understood that, but those changes came with the requirement to register each terminal to a phone account, functioning basically as an SMS device. The old iChat used to use Bonjour to recognize and communicate with any terminals registered on the LAN. I'm looking for something with that ease of use.

If all the computers are Macs, you should be able to use iMessage. It doesn't require a phone number, only an Apple ID.

Apr 2, 2021 12:09 PM in response to IdrisSeabright

Thanks! But again, that's 20 odd separate apple ID's and accounts to set up:) That's more than I want to manage, plus I have apps on each those from my one apple store account, which would be problematic, logging accounts in and out to update, authorize, etc. Theoretically possible, yes, but these are mostly terminals with multiple users (room 1, room 2, etc.)

What I'm looking for might not exist anymore, as iChat was simple with Bonjour, but works no longer.

Apr 2, 2021 12:15 PM in response to yebdox

Well, theoretically, you can use different Apple IDs for the App Store than for iMessage. But, I see your point.

Maybe something like Slack? Don't know what the pricing looks like or how it might work in this situation. But, it's a place to start.

My sense is that the general assumption on the part of developers is what you're looking for is no longer necessary because everyone has a phone and can message from that.

Apr 2, 2021 1:24 PM in response to yebdox

yebdox wrote:

The person most in need of a reminder (that they are behind schedule with patients) does NOT have one, and is the mostly likely to break it, drive over it or flush it down the toilet. Looking for something cheaper, louder, harder to break!

That was just a joke, really!

Wow, that does sound like a challenge. Are people logged into email on the terminals? Could that work?

Sorry I'm short on ideas.

Apr 4, 2021 11:51 AM in response to yebdox

Rummage for available apps.

Here’s one that showed up: https://lanmessenger.github.io/

Also: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_LAN_messengers

IRC is another potential option, if you’re willing to run a local IRC server and IRC clients.

And there are a metric boatload of other open-source and commercial options, if you’re willing to route off-LAN.

Apr 4, 2021 1:04 PM in response to MrHoffman

Thanks! Wasn't sure how to frame my search. The off-LAN route is more management consuming for me, if it means registering each terminal, as some have suggested, to an Apple account, a gmail account, phone number, etc.

Will look at the lan messenger and see what's up. TBH, the old Bonjour setup was the easiest, don't know why they didn't replace it with something.

Since the loss of the chat feature/iChat, is there any convenient way to do text messaging between Macs on a LAN these days?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.