Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to install software that my Macbook Pro doesn't allow?

Hi guys,

So I need to install this Cisco extension for school work (to access SAS via a remote microsoft desktop) and I also need to download and use the latest version of JAGS for my bayesian stats class. However, whenever I try to do this, I get an error message that shows me how to get around it, but when I try to follow the instructions, a little menu that I'm supposed to click doesn't appear. I have attached a screenshot of the error message below. If you compare the two images side by side you'll see what I mean.

I have no idea how to get around this and am desperate for help. I have updated my mac to the most recent software update for Big Sur. I can generally get by in my one stats class without SAS and use R but we're doing a lot of experimental design stuff and as much as I despise SAS, I have to admit that for what I'm doing it is the superior statistical software to use so I'd love some help. Let me know if I need to clarify anything! Thanks.

-- Citizen_of_Danksburg.

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 11.1

Posted on Apr 2, 2021 10:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 2, 2021 4:50 PM

Another way of dealing with this is to Right-click or Control-click the installer app which will prompt you right away to approve it with macOS. Even doing this you may still have trouble getting it to work. I find this is much easier and works better than having to open System Preferences and hope there is an approval button. I had this same issue with an Intel app which also included a driver. I had to reboot the computer after installing the app, then I tried to run the regular app which may then add the prompt to the Security & Privacy System Preferences to allow approval of the driver. Another reboot may be needed.

Are you installing the most recent version of the Cisco software that is compatible with Big Sur?

If you still have issues try doing these steps while booted into Safe Mode.

If none of this works, then contact your school's IT department for assistance. They likely know more about this than anyone here on these forums since they are requiring you to install this software.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 2, 2021 4:50 PM in response to Citizen_of_Danksburg

Another way of dealing with this is to Right-click or Control-click the installer app which will prompt you right away to approve it with macOS. Even doing this you may still have trouble getting it to work. I find this is much easier and works better than having to open System Preferences and hope there is an approval button. I had this same issue with an Intel app which also included a driver. I had to reboot the computer after installing the app, then I tried to run the regular app which may then add the prompt to the Security & Privacy System Preferences to allow approval of the driver. Another reboot may be needed.

Are you installing the most recent version of the Cisco software that is compatible with Big Sur?

If you still have issues try doing these steps while booted into Safe Mode.

If none of this works, then contact your school's IT department for assistance. They likely know more about this than anyone here on these forums since they are requiring you to install this software.

How to install software that my Macbook Pro doesn't allow?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.