Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Refurbished MacBook Air won’t let me download in App Store

Hi, I recently bought a refurbished MacBook Air (early 2015) Version 10.13.6 MAC OS High Sierra.

When I try to install: Numbers, iMovie, Keynote, Pages, and many others I receive a pop up message that says the app cannot be installed on “MacOs” because macOS version 10.15 or later is required.

So is this MacBook obsolete? Or is there anything I can do to use some apps? Thanks!

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Apr 2, 2021 11:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 2, 2021 12:29 PM

caseyjmc Said:

"Refurbished MacBook Air won’t let me download in App Store:[...]I receive a pop up message that says the app cannot be installed on “MacOs” because macOS version 10.15 or later is required. So is this MacBook obsolete? Or is there anything I can do to use some apps? Thanks!"

-------

Upgrade in Safe Mode:

Perform the following:

There are Two Important Streps to Upgrading: Back Up, then Upgrade

I. Back Up:

1. Backup Prior to Installation: Create a Time Machine Backup, that way, you can have something to restore your Mac from, should anything go wrong with the upgrade. Use an external hard drive that is at least 1.5 the total storage capacity as that of your internal hard drive.

II. Upgrade in:

1. Safe Mode: Hold Down: The shift key upon boot
  2. Log in: as an Administrator User
  3. Install the Update: by opening System Preferences > System Updates > Install the Update. But, Backup First.
8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 2, 2021 12:29 PM in response to caseyjmc

caseyjmc Said:

"Refurbished MacBook Air won’t let me download in App Store:[...]I receive a pop up message that says the app cannot be installed on “MacOs” because macOS version 10.15 or later is required. So is this MacBook obsolete? Or is there anything I can do to use some apps? Thanks!"

-------

Upgrade in Safe Mode:

Perform the following:

There are Two Important Streps to Upgrading: Back Up, then Upgrade

I. Back Up:

1. Backup Prior to Installation: Create a Time Machine Backup, that way, you can have something to restore your Mac from, should anything go wrong with the upgrade. Use an external hard drive that is at least 1.5 the total storage capacity as that of your internal hard drive.

II. Upgrade in:

1. Safe Mode: Hold Down: The shift key upon boot
  2. Log in: as an Administrator User
  3. Install the Update: by opening System Preferences > System Updates > Install the Update. But, Backup First.

Apr 2, 2021 3:01 PM in response to caseyjmc

caseyjmc Said:

"Refurbished MacBook Air won’t let me download in App Store: I just received the MacBook and have only linked my iCloud to it. So is there any reason to back it up?"

-------

Back it Up Today:

Yes - Always back it up - and know to back it up prior to making any changes, such as system updates. That way, you can go back, if something does not go right.

Apr 2, 2021 3:08 PM in response to TheLittles

caseyjmc Said:

"Refurbished MacBook Air won’t let me download in App Store: Thanks for replying. When I go to system preferences there is no system updates. The only updates I can find when I search are in the App Store and they’re for: iTunes, Safari, and iTunes device support update."

-------

You are welcome.

Yes - Indeed, install those updates - but be certain to backup first. Updates usually have bug fixes and compatibility fixes.

Using an External Drive:

If using an external drive, rather than iCloud, use one that is small, and portable and has 1.5 times the storage capacity as your internal drive. Though not necessary, consider using a SSD (Solid State Drive), as they have no moving parts (therefore, are less prone to failure, and produce less heat).

Refurbished MacBook Air won’t let me download in App Store

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.