Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why will my email Fetch every 15 minutes but not automatically?

My iPhone didn't notify me when I received email. I changed the fetch new data setting from "automatically" to "every 15 minutes" and now I get notification that I have email. Every 15 minutes is better than no notification on my lock screen, but why won't my phone fetch automatically? Ideally, I'd receive notification when email comes in.

iPhone SE, iOS 14

Posted on Apr 2, 2021 9:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 2, 2021 9:17 PM

There are three options for emails to be received in the Apple Mail app on your iPhone.

1. Push - These emails and notifications are pushed in real time as they arrive in your account at the email providers mail server.
  2. Fetch - This is when Push is not available from your email provider. The emails are then Fetched by your iPhone at a time interval that you set. You have set it at every 15 minutes. Your iPhone will check for emails every 15 minutes.
  3. Automatic - This is when the iPhone decides to Fetch your emails when it is connected to a Wi-Fi Network and plugged in to electrical power.

Of course PUSH option is the best because emails will arrive in real time. FETCH is used when the PUSH option is NOT available and that depends on your email provider. For example, GMAIL, AOL, YAHOO etc do not provide the PUSH option for the Apple Mail app. At this point, you are then compelled to use FETCH. These providers provide the PUSH option if the user uses the provider's own app. The AUTOMATIC function mostly works when the iPhone is connected to Wi-Fi and plugged in to power.

Axel F.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 2, 2021 9:17 PM in response to bethtooBH

There are three options for emails to be received in the Apple Mail app on your iPhone.

1. Push - These emails and notifications are pushed in real time as they arrive in your account at the email providers mail server.
  2. Fetch - This is when Push is not available from your email provider. The emails are then Fetched by your iPhone at a time interval that you set. You have set it at every 15 minutes. Your iPhone will check for emails every 15 minutes.
  3. Automatic - This is when the iPhone decides to Fetch your emails when it is connected to a Wi-Fi Network and plugged in to electrical power.

Of course PUSH option is the best because emails will arrive in real time. FETCH is used when the PUSH option is NOT available and that depends on your email provider. For example, GMAIL, AOL, YAHOO etc do not provide the PUSH option for the Apple Mail app. At this point, you are then compelled to use FETCH. These providers provide the PUSH option if the user uses the provider's own app. The AUTOMATIC function mostly works when the iPhone is connected to Wi-Fi and plugged in to power.

Axel F.

Apr 2, 2021 10:02 PM in response to Axel Foley

Thank you, Axel. I have GMAIL and I'm using Apple's Mail app. I thought Automatic meant it automatically always fetched the email. It did do that when it was plugged in to the power. I installed GMAIL but selecting it as my default mail app didn't get notification of new mail. Judging by the menu, I couldn't control which sound my phone made when receiving email with GMAIL as my default. Your answer was clear and concise, again, thanks.

Why will my email Fetch every 15 minutes but not automatically?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.