Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Deleting photos from iPhone but keep on my Mac

I just discovered, unfortunately, that when I delete photos from my iPhone that I don't need there anymore, that they are also deleted from my Photos on my Mac. How can I prevent this from happening? It did not used to be this wayi.

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Apr 3, 2021 8:34 AM

7 replies

Apr 3, 2021 11:16 AM in response to rastat

Hi

You seem to be syncing your photos using iCloud. iCloud maintains identical libraries on all your devices. What you do on one happens on all.

Presumably when it used not to be this way, you were not using iCloud (or it was not set up correctly)

If you want to save space on your phone then you can turn on "optimise phone storage" in the iCloud setting - and that will dramatically reduce the space your photos library consumes. (Full size originals will no longer be stored on your phone).

Apr 3, 2021 1:35 PM in response to TonyCollinet

Thank you. My main concern is that once I download photos to my Mac in Photos, I no longer need nor want them on my iPhone. If I turn off iCloud syncing, will that solve the problem? Or will I lose a lot of pictures. I'm afraid that I have lost a lot of pictures over the past year as I thought once they were downloaded, they were no longer needed on my phone so they were deleted. I have not liked this version of Photos anyway and much preferred the old iPhoto which is no longer available.

Deleting photos from iPhone but keep on my Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.