Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

WD Passport for Mac External Hard Drive will not mount - can't fix or erase : PROBLEM SOLVED

Big Sur OS 11.2.3

Had this issue WD Passport for Mac External Hard Drive will not mount - But the Disk Utility could see the drive but could not fix or erase it (reformat).

Resolved the problem by downloading the WD disk utility for Mac:

Software and Firmware Downloads | WD Support (wdc.com)

Had to run the 'bad sector' feature a few times and it eventually passed (must have also fixed the bad sectors). End result was that the drive mounted and works fine now.

iMac 27″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Apr 4, 2021 8:44 AM

Similar questions

5 replies

Apr 4, 2021 7:14 PM in response to BobTheFisherman

Appreciate your reply . . . . but the MyPassport for Mac is a WD product (Western Digital) and their disk utility (downloaded from their website) did the trick. The built-in Mac Disk Utility would not mount the hard drive, not fix it, nor erase (reformat) it. I had tried the many recommendations for mounting & etc but none worked until I discovered the WD website and the WD Disk Utility. As I mentioned, I had to run the 'bad sector' utility a few times until is completed . . . . then the HD worked just fine.

Apr 4, 2021 7:18 PM in response to HWTech

Appreciate your reply. I've had the HD for many years and it worked just fine until recently. Think I might have caused a problem by wrestling it out instead of ejecting (dumb on my part). As I mentioned, I had to run the 'bad sector' utility a few times until is completed . . . . then the HD worked just fine. Don't know if there were any bad sectors, but running that utility solved the problem. I did not get any indication that any sectors were bad.

WD Passport for Mac External Hard Drive will not mount - can't fix or erase : PROBLEM SOLVED

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.