Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro crashing EXCEPT when Zoom is running

My MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014) Big Sur keeps crashing regardless of how many or how few apps I have running, EXCEPT when Zoom is running, then I can watch Netflix, send emails, Chrome, Safari, Photoshop, and more, all day! Any thoughts much appreciated.

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 11.2

Posted on Apr 4, 2021 5:49 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 10, 2021 6:35 PM

Multiple users have posted over the years that the MacBook Pro 2014 model in particular, more likely the 15-in model, has a problem where is "passes out". The screen goes black, then within about five seconds the Mac powers off, but there is no diagnostic report, and no errors in the log. These Macs will then pass user diagnostics, and Genius bar diagnostics without issues.

Random Shutdown on Macbook Pro (15" mid 2014)

It is particularly interesting because a hobbyist/hacker developed, and now is selling for US$10, a software script that claims to solve the problem by giving the Mac CPU a little more to do.

http://realmacmods.com/product/macbook-pro-nocrash-utility/

Multiple Readers respond that nocrash seems to work! Another reader suggests removing the ThunderBolt Ethernet driver, and this also seems to have the result that the Mac has a little more CPU activity and does not "pass out".

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 10, 2021 6:35 PM in response to alittleknowledge

Multiple users have posted over the years that the MacBook Pro 2014 model in particular, more likely the 15-in model, has a problem where is "passes out". The screen goes black, then within about five seconds the Mac powers off, but there is no diagnostic report, and no errors in the log. These Macs will then pass user diagnostics, and Genius bar diagnostics without issues.

Random Shutdown on Macbook Pro (15" mid 2014)

It is particularly interesting because a hobbyist/hacker developed, and now is selling for US$10, a software script that claims to solve the problem by giving the Mac CPU a little more to do.

http://realmacmods.com/product/macbook-pro-nocrash-utility/

Multiple Readers respond that nocrash seems to work! Another reader suggests removing the ThunderBolt Ethernet driver, and this also seems to have the result that the Mac has a little more CPU activity and does not "pass out".

Apr 8, 2021 11:23 AM in response to alittleknowledge

alittleknowledge,

Great isolating, thanks for taking the time to work through those steps. What this tells us is the issue is system-wide on your Mac, not isolated to a specific user.

Since it is happening system-wide, and everything is already up to date, we'd next like to have you reinstall the macOS. This step is not designed to erase any data from your but to reinstall the operating system files. However, we do recommend you have a backup of your Mac's data before performing any type of update or reinstall.

Back up your Mac

How to reinstall macOS

• in this article follow the steps for Intel processor and at this time we do not want to erase the hard drive.

We're eager to hear the results.

Apr 5, 2021 12:03 PM in response to alittleknowledge

Greetings alittleknowledge,

We understand that you're experiencing a behavior you're describing as crashing when running apps on your MacBook Pro, unless you have the Zoom app also running. Can you tell us what happens when things crash? Are apps quitting unexpectedly? Is your Mac restarting unexpectedly? Are there any error messages?

Is your Mac running the latest incremental macOS Big Sur update of 11.2.3? If not, please create a backup and apply the update.

Back up your Mac

How to update the software on your Mac

Next, we'd like to have you start up in safe mode and test to see if the same things are happening. How to use safe mode on your Mac

Be sure to read through the article about safe mode and what to expect when starting up that way.

Let us know what you find out.

Apr 10, 2021 5:58 PM in response to sterling r

Such an investigation! Thank you for your persistence.

Edit to my original concern: MacBook is still crashing, unless Zoom, YouTube video on Safari, YouTube video on Chrome is running.

Zoom video does not need to be on. When I uninstall Zoom, MacBook crashes as usual.

No external devices on my Mac.

Have not replaced any internal hardware.

Attaching screen shot of Activity Monitor because I'm not sure what any of it means.

Apr 7, 2021 8:43 AM in response to i_rina

Hi i_rina,

Thanks for your response.

Yes, my MacBook Pro is crashing when running apps, unless I have the Zoom app also running. So strange!

When the MacBook crashes, the screen goes blank, stays blank for ~30 seconds and then shuts down, and stays shut down. When I turn it on again, the apps that were open when it crashed, open up again, and files are saved as recovered.

Apps do not individually quit unexpectedly.

The Mac does not restart unexpectedly.

There are no error messages.

My Mac is running the latest incremental macOS Big Sur update of 11.2.3, and all apps are up to date.

I started up in safe mode, and the same thing happened. I went to another user on my Mac and the same thing happened.

Thanks again for your response, any help would be much appreciated!

Apr 10, 2021 5:26 PM in response to alittleknowledge

alittleknowledge,

Let's continue working through what we know and eliminating situations. Are there any other external devices connected to your Mac? If so, please remove them and test things out again. Have you replaced any internal hardware? Also, please launch Activity Monitor and look at what's using the memory and CPU. Anything running that you wouldn't expect or at higher rates than you'd expect?

When Zoom is running, is the camera on? What happens if you temporarily uninstall Zoom? Here's a link to their website on removing it for macOS: How to uninstall Zoom.

Thanks.

Apr 12, 2021 10:04 AM in response to alittleknowledge

alittleknowledge,

We sure appreciate the information you've been able to pass on. From the Activity Monitor, nothing looks like it is pulling more CPU or Memory than would be expected or running away with any resources.

At this point, we'd like have you reach out to Apple Support using the following link, so they can continue investigating the situation and gathering any additional information needed. Here's a link to get started: Get Support

Thank you.

MacBook Pro crashing EXCEPT when Zoom is running

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.