Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone X screen went black

The other night my screen went completely black. No amount of tapping would wake it up. I could tell the phone was still working because it vibrated when I plugged it in and it rang when someone called. But no screen. 18 hours later. The phone is sitting on the table. It makes the sound of an incoming text and voila! the screen is working again. I've restarted it and everything seems fine. What caused this? Is it going to happen again?

iPhone X

Posted on Apr 5, 2021 9:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 5, 2021 10:08 AM

Hello,

Hmm, it is difficult to know the root cause. Glitches happen :-)

If it happens again, see this:

If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch won‘t turn on or is frozen

Good luck.

4 replies

Apr 15, 2021 6:36 PM in response to alanreinke

The screen will darken when the iPhone gets hot -- whether because of heavy gaming or use in direct sun. This can happen regardless of whether the Automatic Brightness Adjustment is turned on or off. According to MacRumors (https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/my-iphone-x-screen-will-dim-on-its-own-under-heavy-use.2129601/), dimming starts at 103°F. Screen can become almost too dim to see at 113°F. The rule of thumb is: if the iPhone feels hot in your hand- it's too hot. Warm is ok. The black faced Plus iPhones are really susceptible to heat soak when using them in direct sunlight.

iPhone X screen went black

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.