Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I can't log into my apple ID on macbook pro, but i can log onto icloud with the same ID and password. Can't update because I can't sign into macbook, please help.

I can't log into my apple ID on macbook pro, but i can log onto icloud with the same ID and password. Can't update because I can't sign into macbook, please help. Apple ID works fine on iphone.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Apr 5, 2021 6:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 27, 2021 5:18 AM

I too am having the same frustrated problem with logging into my MacBook Pro. I cannot use my Apple ID to log in on Mac. I can log into all other apple devices and I even changed my password thinking this would work, which I didn't want to do. Rebooted several times. Cleared cache, not that that mattered. Can some expert give an expert solution to help get this rectified. Thanks.

21 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 27, 2021 5:18 AM in response to kayfrmLA

I too am having the same frustrated problem with logging into my MacBook Pro. I cannot use my Apple ID to log in on Mac. I can log into all other apple devices and I even changed my password thinking this would work, which I didn't want to do. Rebooted several times. Cleared cache, not that that mattered. Can some expert give an expert solution to help get this rectified. Thanks.

Apr 5, 2021 6:34 PM in response to kayfrmLA

If the above doesn't work, try setting up another admin user account in System Preferences/Users & Groups to see if the same problem continues. Also try the Safe Mode. 

Isolating an issue by using another user account   

Safe Mode - About.       

If it works in the Safe Mode, try running this program when booted normally and then copy and paste the output in a reply. The program was created by Etresoft, a frequent contributor.  Please use copy and paste as screen shots can be hard to read. Click “Share Report” button in the toolbar, select “Copy to Clipboard” and then paste into a reply. This will show what is running on your computer. No personal information is shown. If the log won’t post, try posting it in Pastebin and provide a link in a reply. After pasting the report in a PasteBin page, go to the top of the page, and copy the address in the URL bar. Paste that in a new reply.        Pastebin.    

https://etrecheck.com

Jun 4, 2021 2:56 AM in response to Eric Root

So the problem begins with being unable to add a google account under internet accounts, it says failed to authenticate with google.

• So I tried to delete the account and add it back again - open browser > add username and pwd > and then safari leads back to failed to authenticate under system preferences.

• Later I also tried removed icloud and relogin back but that also seems to not login.

Any leads would be helpful

NOTE: There is absolutely no issue when I created another admin account and things are fine. but I'm apprehensive of switching since there are a lot of browser and other folder customisations that I dont want to lose.

Apr 27, 2021 6:21 AM in response to Got2bfrustrated

Are you running any anti - virus programs? Using a VPN?

Try setting up another admin user account to see if the same problem continues. If Back-to-My Mac is selected in System Preferences, the Guest account will not work. The intent is to see if it is specific to one account or a system wide problem. This account can be deleted later. 

Isolating an issue by using another user account 

If the problem is still there, try booting into the Safe Mode using your normal account.  Disconnect all peripherals except those needed for the test. Shut down the computer and then power it back up after waiting 10 seconds. Immediately after hearing the startup chime, hold down the shift key and continue to hold it until the gray Apple icon and a progress bar appear. The boot up is significantly slower than normal. This will reset some caches, forces a directory check, and disables all startup and login items, among other things. When you reboot normally, the initial reboot may be slower than normal. If the system operates normally, there may be 3rd party applications which are causing a problem. Try deleting/disabling the third party applications after a restart by using the application un-installer or by using the developer’s uninstall instructions. For each disable/delete, you will need to restart if you don't do them all at once. 

Safe Mode - About.    

If it works in the Safe Mode, try running this program when booted normally and then copy and paste the output in a reply. The program was created by Etresoft, a frequent contributor.  Please use copy and paste as screen shots can be hard to read. Click “Share Report” button in the toolbar, select “Copy to Clipboard” and then paste into a reply. This will show what is running on your computer. No personal information is shown. If the log won’t post, try posting it in Pastebin and provide a link in a reply. After pasting the report in a PasteBin page, go to the top of the page, and copy the address in the URL bar. Paste that in a new reply.        Pastebin

https://etrecheck.com

Apr 27, 2021 7:01 AM in response to Got2bfrustrated

Got2bfrustrated wrote:

Kindly post the EtreCheck data, as was previously requested.

May 8, 2021 8:27 AM in response to MrHoffman

EtreCheckPro version: 6.4.4 (6E015)

Report generated: 2021-05-08 11:19:08

Download EtreCheckPro from https://etrecheck.com

Runtime: 3:42

Performance: Excellent

Problem: Computer is too slow

Description:

takes longer to link to wifi, takes longer to run programs, also can n

ot log into message app

Major Issues:

Anything that appears on this list needs immediate attention.

Time Machine backup out-of-date - The last Time Machine backup is over 10 days old.

Heavy CPU usage - Some processes are using an unusually high amount of CPU.

Obsolete hardware - This computer may be considered obsolete.

Kernel extensions blocked - There are blocked kernel extensions awaiting user approval.

Adobe Flash Player installed - Adobe Flash Player is installed on this computer. This is a security risk and no longer supported.

Minor Issues:

These issues do not need immediate attention but they may indicate future problems or opportunities for improvement.

Apps crashing - There have been numerous app crashes.

Clean up - There are orphan files that could be removed.

Unsigned files - There are unsigned software files installed. Apple has said that unsigned software will not run by default in a future version of the operating system.

System modifications - There are a large number of system modifications running in the background.

Runaway user process - A user process is using a large percentage of your CPU.

32-bit Apps - This computer has 32-bits apps will not work on current versions of the operating system.

Kernel extensions present - This computer has kernel extensions that may not work in the future.

Sharing enabled - This computer has sharing services enabled that could be a security risk.

Hardware Information:

MacBook Pro (13-inch, Early 2011) - Obsolete!

MacBook Pro Model: MacBookPro8,1

2.3 GHz Intel Core i5 (i5-2415M) CPU: 2-core

16 GB RAM - At maximum

BANK 0/DIMM0 - 8 GB DDR3 1333

BANK 1/DIMM0 - 8 GB DDR3 1333

Battery: Health = Normal - Cycle count = 693

Video Information:

Intel HD Graphics 3000 - VRAM: 512 MB

Color LCD 1280 x 800

Drives:

disk0 - CT2000MX500SSD1 2.00 TB (Solid State - TRIM: No)

Internal SATA 6 Gigabit Serial ATA

disk0s1 - EFI (MS-DOS FAT32) [EFI] 210 MB

disk0s2 [APFS Container] 2.00 TB

disk1 [APFS Virtual drive] 2.00 TB (Shared by 4 volumes)

disk1s1 - Macintosh HD (APFS) (Shared - 507.02 GB used)

disk1s2 - Preboot (APFS) [APFS Preboot] (Shared - 20 MB used)

disk1s3 - Recovery (APFS) [Recovery] (Shared - 512 MB used)

disk1s4 - VM (APFS) [APFS VM] (Shared - 8.59 GB used)

May 18, 2021 7:06 AM in response to kayfrmLA

I was having this same issue and I was able to have it resolved over the phone with Apple support (thank you Shannon!).

We attempted to log in through the Settings App > Apple ID and also through appleid.apple.com. Finally she just had me reboot the computer and it wound up logging in when I tried again in the settings app. I had rebooted the computer a few days prior and attempted on my own, but I had better luck when I was on the phone with Apple support.

May 29, 2021 1:20 PM in response to nusantara_berdikari

I once thought I had this problem, then figured out I was reading the screen wrong. I arrived here looking for a way to re-set my preferences. See if this is what is going on for you--hopefully it is this simple:

Does this happen when you are trying to use Safari to log in to iCloud.com? Try using a different browser.

What I was doing was trying to use Safari. I'd do not have my credentials set to autofill. Before I could enter them, another small screen pops up and says, Enter the password for USER. It wants my computer user password, not my APPLE ID password. My computer name and Apple ID are similar and I didn't notice. Once I figured that out, it worked fine.

I'd like to change it because it's confusing. Since it only happens in Safari, it must be a preference. But I haven't found where it's located.

Like I said, I hope this helps someone else. If not, sorry.

I can't log into my apple ID on macbook pro, but i can log onto icloud with the same ID and password. Can't update because I can't sign into macbook, please help.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.