Newsroom Update

The redesigned iPad Air and new iPad Pro with Apple silicon are now available. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Tranfer photos that came from iTunes into iCloud

Occasionally I get handed a iPad/iPhone which has a photo collection on it that was sent to the Photos App via a cable from iTunes. You remember, how we used to do it in the old days when the world was in black and white.

Naturally, I want to switch that device out of that mode and into iCloud Photos so that all the old photos and any new ones are backed up and replicated between the devices. If you have ever done that you will know that the iPad says it will delete the photos that were sent from iTunes when you switch mode (potentially thousands of the things).

I have an example I'm working on right now. There is a photo collection that only exists on the iPad. The computer that sent those pictures from iTunes was retired years ago.

What I want is iOS to be changed to just shut up and upload the photos instead of deleting them. What I actually have is us manually selecting the photos one at a time and sending an airdrop to another iOS device (one that has iCloud Photos switched on) in batches.

I understand I'm not going to get an iOS fix any time soon (if at all), but does anyone know of a better way to do this? Perhaps an app that can do the transfer? I'm finding it difficult to search for something to do this, as I can't find the right combination of words to search for.

iPad Air 3, iPadOS 14

Posted on Apr 6, 2021 2:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 6, 2021 10:35 AM

I know you want directions on copying and not deleting from ipad or iphone but I copy and transfer all photos from my iphone and ipad to other devices by using a sandisk usb flash drive that copies all camera roll pictures or files in folders then giving you the option not to delete off iphone or ipad. The usb drive has a lightning on one end and standard 3 usb on the other. I can then put the usb drive into computer and copy all photos to a folder on computer of my choice or into the photo app on Mac. You can always upload to icloud or do the reverse copy from computer to usb drive to iphone or ipad.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 6, 2021 10:35 AM in response to Ratbatty

I know you want directions on copying and not deleting from ipad or iphone but I copy and transfer all photos from my iphone and ipad to other devices by using a sandisk usb flash drive that copies all camera roll pictures or files in folders then giving you the option not to delete off iphone or ipad. The usb drive has a lightning on one end and standard 3 usb on the other. I can then put the usb drive into computer and copy all photos to a folder on computer of my choice or into the photo app on Mac. You can always upload to icloud or do the reverse copy from computer to usb drive to iphone or ipad.

Apr 6, 2021 5:06 AM in response to ProustGiulio

Thank you for taking time to reply, but I don't think you have understood the situation I am working on here.

I don't have a problem with iCloud. I have a problem with photos that were sent to the iPad from an iTunes that no longer exists. Switching on iCloud photos would simply remove all those photos, which is exactly what I don't want. I can transfer them out, but it is very cumbersome. I'm looking for a better way.

Tranfer photos that came from iTunes into iCloud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.