Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IPhone 12 Wallpapers

I recently got an IPhone 12 and the wallpaper stills that are suppose to change from day to night are stuck on night mode. Is this because I'm using Dark Appearance? I thought that the stills would change depending on the time of day/night and not whether you are using the Dark or Light Appearance. Do they only change with Light Appearance on?

iPhone 12, iOS 14

Posted on Apr 6, 2021 11:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 6, 2021 11:40 AM

Depending on what display mode you have your iPhone on, your still background will reflect. You will want to set yours to Automatic for the wallpaper to change depending on the daytime.

You can do this by navigating to Settings>Display & Brightness. Here, toggle the automatic slider.+

2 replies

Apr 6, 2021 12:19 PM in response to Cruzermur

Hi dom-cary, thank you for taking the time to reply.

It is on automatic but I have my phone set to dark appearance which is much easier on my eyes especially with emails. If I set it to light appearance just so the wallpaper changes, I lose the dark appearance. I thought that it wouldn't make a difference what the appearance is, the just wallpaper alone would change based on the time of day.

It's a silly simple thing and yet when you pay over a thousand dollars for a phone, I would expect it to perform a simple task. I've changed the wallpaper to a photo I took and solved the problem! ;-)

IPhone 12 Wallpapers

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.