Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

macbook pro broke, swap the hard drive ?

Hi all, due to a malfunction in the plug of my charger, my macbook pro is out of power and can not be switched on any longer. So I have the choice to buy a new charger and hope it still works. I say this because one of the connectors on the plug broke and caused a bit of a short circuit. That's why I am not sure if even a new charger would still be able to launch it. Either way, this mac is 10 years old, and totally worn out so I'm not so keen on investing anymore money in it. So what I really want to do is just take out the hard drive and reconnect it to a newer mac to get my files back. So my question here is, will I be able to access my files, considering that the files are inside the old account, and thus protected ? Is it gonna ask me for the password or so, which I have of course? Any idea ? Or would I be able to start up from that second hard drive, even on a much more recent model ?

MacBook Pro

Posted on Apr 6, 2021 1:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 6, 2021 9:51 PM

If the laptop uses a 2.5" hard drive, then you can easily remove the hard drive and use a USB to SATA Adapter, drive dock, or enclosure to connect the drive to another Mac.

If you have multiple user accounts on either Mac or if you have added & deleted user accounts over the years, then it may be a little more difficult accessing the data in that user account(s). macOS uses a "UserID" which is a number to identify users on a system (the user name is just for our benefit). If the "userID" of an account on your newer Mac matches the "userID" of the account on the old Mac, then you can just use the Finder to navigate to your old user folder and just copy items like normal. If the "userIDs" are different, then you can still copy the locked folder (if you want everything inside it) by normal methods since macOS will prompt you for your admin password. Another option is to use an app like Carbon Copy Cloner (CCC) which will automatically prompt you for an admin password to access the locked folders plus CCC will allow you to select and deselect items to copy.

You could also just change permissions on that old user folder as well to match your current user. This is not a good idea if you ever want to use this drive in the old laptop again.

You can only use the old hard drive to boot a newer Mac if the OS on the old drive is one which is supported on the newer Mac. The oldest OS a Mac can boot from is the version which originally shipped with the Mac from the factory (although there are a few exceptions when a Mac model is not updated when a new OS is released).

You should always have frequent and regular backups. This is even more important with the newer Macs using SSDs and especially with the USB-C Macs where it may not be possible to recover any data from a failed SSD or a non-booting USB-C Mac.

Edit: Is the charger or charger cable bad or is it the Magsafe port on the laptop? Most likely the laptop is still functional. On older Macs the Magsafe port is inexpensive and can be replaced. Maybe you can take the laptop to an Apple Store to have them see if the laptop will work with another charger before you purchase a new charger.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 6, 2021 9:51 PM in response to jangaudi

If the laptop uses a 2.5" hard drive, then you can easily remove the hard drive and use a USB to SATA Adapter, drive dock, or enclosure to connect the drive to another Mac.

If you have multiple user accounts on either Mac or if you have added & deleted user accounts over the years, then it may be a little more difficult accessing the data in that user account(s). macOS uses a "UserID" which is a number to identify users on a system (the user name is just for our benefit). If the "userID" of an account on your newer Mac matches the "userID" of the account on the old Mac, then you can just use the Finder to navigate to your old user folder and just copy items like normal. If the "userIDs" are different, then you can still copy the locked folder (if you want everything inside it) by normal methods since macOS will prompt you for your admin password. Another option is to use an app like Carbon Copy Cloner (CCC) which will automatically prompt you for an admin password to access the locked folders plus CCC will allow you to select and deselect items to copy.

You could also just change permissions on that old user folder as well to match your current user. This is not a good idea if you ever want to use this drive in the old laptop again.

You can only use the old hard drive to boot a newer Mac if the OS on the old drive is one which is supported on the newer Mac. The oldest OS a Mac can boot from is the version which originally shipped with the Mac from the factory (although there are a few exceptions when a Mac model is not updated when a new OS is released).

You should always have frequent and regular backups. This is even more important with the newer Macs using SSDs and especially with the USB-C Macs where it may not be possible to recover any data from a failed SSD or a non-booting USB-C Mac.

Edit: Is the charger or charger cable bad or is it the Magsafe port on the laptop? Most likely the laptop is still functional. On older Macs the Magsafe port is inexpensive and can be replaced. Maybe you can take the laptop to an Apple Store to have them see if the laptop will work with another charger before you purchase a new charger.

Apr 7, 2021 4:16 PM in response to HWTech

Thanks a million for the helpful and clear information ! One of the pins on the magsafe broke off, the tiny one in the middle, but fiddling with it gave a small spark, that's why I'm not sure if the port is ruined now. If you'd see the laptop you would understand why I don't want to invest anything in it anymore ;). I will try the different options you mentioned. Cheers

Apr 7, 2021 6:48 PM in response to jangaudi

Did the spark cause any burn marks on the Magsafe port on the laptop? If so, then the DC-In Board may need to be replaced if cleaning the contact on the laptop does not give a clean contact or work with another charger. Most likely the laptop will be fine, but worst case the DC-In Board will need to be replaced (inexpensive part). I've seen severely burned contacts on the laptop's port and only the DC-In Board needed to be replaced.

macbook pro broke, swap the hard drive ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.