Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

External hard drive with old system unreadable

I want to keep the old system on the old hard drive, but use the data on the old drive with my newer system/drive. Sometimes I just have to wake the drive up, going to get info and unlocking it and checking "ignore ownership" but that's getting irritating.

I tried locking it in "ignore ownership" status but it doesn't stay set that way.

How can I set this up?

"Apply to enclosed items" might trash the system files, but maybe I could do this to the User/Documents, etc folders individually?

I tried unblessing the system on that drive, possibly a mistake, as now some folder are read/writeable, some not.

- it registers as unblessed, tho I don't know what the other info it gives me means:

bless --info /Volumes/SnowLeopard

finderinfo[0]:   0 => No Blessed System Folder

finderinfo[1]:   0 => No Blessed System File

finderinfo[2]:   0 => Open-folder linked list empty

finderinfo[3]:   0 => No alternate OS blessed file/folder

finderinfo[4]:   0 => Unused field unset

finderinfo[5]:   0 => No OS 9 + X blessed X folder

64-bit VSDB volume id: [I've deleted this, it was a long string]

Posted on Jun 26, 2022 3:38 AM

Similar questions

4 replies

Jun 27, 2022 5:09 PM in response to BDAqua

Thanks, I'm hesitant to "Apply to enclosed items" just because that limits the drive to be used with only one of my computers.

"Put drives to sleep has always been unchecked" - yet this drive is accessible once I do my little song and dance, then after a period of inactivity it drops off as if it has been asleep; the external drive does not behave this way.

I know the problem is this drive has an old system on it, which I occasionally use.

I would like to unbless it temporarily so it will behave just like my other non-system external drives.

Jun 29, 2022 2:09 PM in response to sedaray

Blessing the system should have no impact on being able to access the data on the drive. It just adds a couple of hidden files to the drive to indicate the drive has been blessed and "bootable".

On macOS the file/folder permissions are based on the UserID of your macOS user accounts, the user name has no bearing on this (except perhaps for extended ACL permissions -- I haven't done much with ACLs). If you have only a single user account on both drives (and never added or deleted any from either one), then you should be able to access the data on the other drive for a matching user folder with no problems since the userID should be the same.

In the past I have been able to copy the whole folder inside a macOS user account (Desktop, Documents, Downloads, etc.) which are locked due to incompatible permissions since macOS will prompt you for your current admin password when attempting to copy the locked folders. Of course this will copy all of the items within that top level folder (Desktop, Documents, etc.). Maybe later versions of macOS prevent this now. You can use a third party app such as Carbon Copy Cloner (CCC) to access all the items on the old drive and pick which files/folders you want to copy to the new system. CCC will prompt you for your admin password.

I do not recommend keeping this old drive and accessing the data when needed as it is an awkward and dangerous option (I've done this before when dual booting and it gets messy quickly). It is fine to keep the old drive if you may need to boot it again, but since you've been trying to manually "bless" it, then it probably will no longer boot. If the drive is that old, then I would be concerned about a drive failure at some point if the drive is not already worn out or failing (you may not notice the failure at first). Plus if you want to boot this old drive again, then changing permissions will cause problems. If, however, you will not be booting this old drive again, then changing the permissions won't hurt anything in order to access the data. Just pull the data off the drive and store it in a manner where your other Macs/devices can access it. Sharing an old OS drive is just asking for trouble in so many ways.

I'm a bit concerned that you need data from this old drive especially needing access from multiple computers. It implies you don't have any backups which is very dangerous if you have any important data. Drives fail and accidents can happen which can destroy all data on a drive many times with no hope of recovery even when using an expensive professional data recovery service. If you need to share data across multiple devices, then you have multiple options available such as iCloud syncing between your devices (or some other cloud file syncing service if you need to use non-Apple devices as well), or a network storage device (NAS), or an external USB drive that has been completely erased so it only contains your data files. No matter which option you choose here, you still need to back up this data since cloud file syncing services are not backups and a single drive with shared data is a huge risk if you value the data.

You should always have frequent and regular backups of your computer(s) and all external media (including the cloud) which contains important & unique data.

External hard drive with old system unreadable

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.