Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

mp4 with no sound

I have a .mp4 file that plays fine in iTunes, with sound. If I import it into iMovies, there is no more sound. There are no soundwaves visible even.

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Apr 7, 2021 5:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 9, 2021 7:22 AM

Hmmmm. There must be something in the whole-movie version that iMovie does not like. Possibly it is a format issue, or something in the movie is copyrighted, or something about how it was rendered. iMovie can be more sensitive than other apps about formats and rendering issues.

If the sound plays in QuickTimePlayer try exporting it as audio only. Then drag the exported audio clip into iMovie and see if it plays there. If it does, then you can sync it up with the video in iMovie and see if it will export with sound.

-- Rich

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 9, 2021 7:22 AM in response to wabbak

Hmmmm. There must be something in the whole-movie version that iMovie does not like. Possibly it is a format issue, or something in the movie is copyrighted, or something about how it was rendered. iMovie can be more sensitive than other apps about formats and rendering issues.

If the sound plays in QuickTimePlayer try exporting it as audio only. Then drag the exported audio clip into iMovie and see if it plays there. If it does, then you can sync it up with the video in iMovie and see if it will export with sound.

-- Rich

Apr 7, 2021 7:58 AM in response to wabbak

To cover the bases, make sure that you sound settings are not set to mute.

If all O.K. there, note that not all Mp4 vids work in iMovie. It must be Mp4/AAC. AAC stands for Advanced Audio Coding.

Try importing your video to your desktop and converting your troublesome clips to H.264, Mp4/AAC with the free

download, Handbrake. Do that even if the codec already is indicated to be Mp4/AAC. Re-rendering often cures the issue.

You can get Handbrake here:

https://handbrake.fr/

A simple way to do it is to open Handbrake and do a File/Open Source. Navigate to your video and choose it as the source from the resulting screen. Then do File/Start Encoding. Wait a couple of minutes for the conversion to complete. Then save and import the converted clip into iMovie.

-- Rich

Apr 7, 2021 9:36 AM in response to wabbak

Is it possible that the clip is DRM protected, in which case it would not play in iMovie, although it would play in iTunes? You can go to your iTunes library and check whether it is protected. Control-click on the song title in the library and select Song Info from the dropdown menu. Then click on the File tab in the box that appears. Under the heading "Kind" it will show whether the song is protected.

-- Rich

Apr 8, 2021 2:48 PM in response to wabbak

Did you make the music yourself or use a song from someone else? If the latter it could still be copyrighted.

The purpose of copyright is to prevent someone from using the song in a project, or publishing it, without permission of the artist. It still might play in other apps or players. iMovie does not allow use of copyrighted songs unless they are licensed.

It could also be that the audio is in a format not supported by iMovie.

— Rich

Apr 9, 2021 12:49 AM in response to Rich839

These are a few homevideo shots made by different people on their iPhones. Somebody made a longer movie from these in a programme and exported it to mp4. I then played it on my iMac in iTunes, no problem. I wanted to make it better and add some music, but it turned out there was no sound of the clips in iMovies. I imported one of the clips into iMovie, and there was sound. But not the whole movie made up of different clips.

mp4 with no sound

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.