Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Lagging, Overheating MacBook Pro 2014 after Big Sur update

Hi, so i have a MacBook Pro Retina 2014 13" , and a few weeks ago i updated it to macOS Big Sur from catalina and after it was done updating i noticed that all the animations were very very choppy, and scrolling in safari was just bizarre. at first i thought "well, maybe it was just doing some icloud backup thing or whatever" , but then it persists to lag and almost felt unusable as it occasionally freezes, especially when i tried to use Photoshop and final cut pro. it also overheats on the top right part of the keyboard where the cpu is. even messages app seemed to lag very badly when scrolling. so then i decided to downgrade the os back to Catalina all together because it got very annoying to

work on. after i downgraded it to catalina, the same problem that wasn't there before i updated to big sur continues to occour.. so i thought, maybe the thermal paste was just dry and i needed to replace it, so i replaced the thermal paste and yet the same problem continues. i also checked the performance benchmark on geekbench and noticed that the metal performance is 0..

i am so confused about what seem to be causing the problem.. and i kinda need it fixed asap.. Any ideas what might be causing the problem? is it a hardware problem? or did macOS Big Sur just destroyed my Mac? :\

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Apr 7, 2021 7:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 7, 2021 8:02 AM

Software does not hurt hardware. What does is dust, smoke, improper ventilation (that includes plastic shells), and poor energy supplies including surges through power adapters, and frayed power cords.

I have found that ventilation on linen is actually worse than on surfaces such as wood, laminate and glass.

There are USB powered laptop cooler pads you can connect to your laptop.

Being the machine is well out of warranty, you may still be able to bring it in to an authorized apple service center and they can diagnose if the hardware just happens to have aged.

You can also run the Apple Diagnostic on this link:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202731

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 7, 2021 8:02 AM in response to DanielTalenta

Software does not hurt hardware. What does is dust, smoke, improper ventilation (that includes plastic shells), and poor energy supplies including surges through power adapters, and frayed power cords.

I have found that ventilation on linen is actually worse than on surfaces such as wood, laminate and glass.

There are USB powered laptop cooler pads you can connect to your laptop.

Being the machine is well out of warranty, you may still be able to bring it in to an authorized apple service center and they can diagnose if the hardware just happens to have aged.

You can also run the Apple Diagnostic on this link:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202731

Apr 7, 2021 8:04 AM in response to a brody

Also the fact you replaced your own thermal paste means you could have applied too much, and it would have become an insulator. Or too little, in which case it could still overheat. Bring it to authorized service center to ensure just the right amount is applied. We can't tell you how much here on this board, as this is just a user to user forum, and while I may be Apple Certified, I've tried to post internal repair tips before here, and had them removed.

Lagging, Overheating MacBook Pro 2014 after Big Sur update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.