Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to transfer music to my iPhone 11 Pro Max through iTunes.

I am unable to transfer (drag and drop) music to my iPhone 11 Pro Max through iTunes. When I bring up iTunes it shows I have nothing on my device. Whenever I try to drop and drag a song it will not allow it. My IOS is 14.5 and iTunes version is 12.11.0.26. I have checked my security settings and it indicates "Full". I have been trying for a week without any success. Very frustrating! Is there any other way to get my music to the phone?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Apr 8, 2021 2:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 8, 2021 8:50 AM

For more on viewing your purchases history see Hide and unhide music, movies, TV shows, audiobooks, and books - Apple Support and Redownload apps, music, movies, TV shows, and books from the App Store, iTunes Store, and Apple Books - Apple Support. But this is a distraction, I was simply trying to describe the difference between Apple Music, iTunes Match or what you see if you don't have either service.

Again, if you're an Apple Music subscriber then, at least as far as music is concerned, you don't need to connect the device to the computer to add music to the iPhone. That should be happening automatically through the cloud. If you connect the device to USB, select it with this icon and then look at the Music tab you will probably see a warning the iCloud Music Library is enabled, which is why you cannot drag and drop content to it.

If you don't see songs on the iPhone that are in your library use Identify cloud status icons in your music library on your Mac or PC - Apple Support to work out why. The iCloud status for your new tracks should normally say matched or uploaded. If it says something else post back here with the details and I should be able to help you resolve the issue. If you don't see the cloud status column then perhaps you need to Turn on Sync Library (AKA iCloud Music Library) with Apple Music - Apple Support in your iTunes library.

tt2

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 8, 2021 8:50 AM in response to Nodak7

For more on viewing your purchases history see Hide and unhide music, movies, TV shows, audiobooks, and books - Apple Support and Redownload apps, music, movies, TV shows, and books from the App Store, iTunes Store, and Apple Books - Apple Support. But this is a distraction, I was simply trying to describe the difference between Apple Music, iTunes Match or what you see if you don't have either service.

Again, if you're an Apple Music subscriber then, at least as far as music is concerned, you don't need to connect the device to the computer to add music to the iPhone. That should be happening automatically through the cloud. If you connect the device to USB, select it with this icon and then look at the Music tab you will probably see a warning the iCloud Music Library is enabled, which is why you cannot drag and drop content to it.

If you don't see songs on the iPhone that are in your library use Identify cloud status icons in your music library on your Mac or PC - Apple Support to work out why. The iCloud status for your new tracks should normally say matched or uploaded. If it says something else post back here with the details and I should be able to help you resolve the issue. If you don't see the cloud status column then perhaps you need to Turn on Sync Library (AKA iCloud Music Library) with Apple Music - Apple Support in your iTunes library.

tt2

Apr 8, 2021 7:16 AM in response to Nodak7

When you sign into your Apple ID in an empty library or device you should see your unhidden purchase history. iTunes Match is a service that lets iTunes match or upload your music from one library so it is available on others. Apple Music is similar, but also lets you add content from the iTunes Store catalog to rent while your subscription remains active. When you use either Apple Music or iTunes Match you should enable Sync Library (AKA iCloud Music Library) in both iTunes/Music and in your device. Then new content added to your library automatically becomes available to your device. You no longer sync music over USB.

See Identify cloud status icons in your music library on your Mac or PC - Apple Support and make sure the items you wanted to add have been matched or uploaded. Resolve any errors. Once the library is updated you should see the tracks on your iPhone.

tt2

Apr 8, 2021 7:40 AM in response to turingtest2

Sorry but I cannot find a purchase history? Where do I look? Interesting to note that iTunes does not automatically start-up when I plug in my phone. I believe that it used to. I tried to uninstall and reinstall iTunes with no difference. I have checked the permissions under properties and I have full permissions. I am just frustrated with this whole process!

Unable to transfer music to my iPhone 11 Pro Max through iTunes.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.