Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

CarPlay keeps changing audio source

I have a problem that is driving me crazy. CarPlay keeps changing my audio source back to the Music app or whatever was last playing through the iPhone (iPhone XR , 128 GB). This has been an ongoing issue the entire time I've had a car that was CarPlay capable. When I listen to the radio or Sirius XM, it will change the audio source to the iPhone. When I switch back to the radio, it does it again. The only way I can listen to the radio is by disabling CarPlay. Something is making the phone think I want to listen to it and not the car's onboard entertainment sources. I have tried unpairing the phone and reconnecting it, countless times. I have tried restarting the head units in both cars. I have tried hard closing all the apps. I have tried restarting the iPhone but the problem persists. There was a similar question, actually the exact same question and issue published on May 16, 2020 and this was Apple's response: (All these steps have been tried as well with no luck)

1. Check your connection to your CarPlay stereo:
    • If you have a wired connection, try connecting again with a different USB cable to a different USB port if you have one.
    • If you have a wireless connection, make sure that Wi-Fi and Bluetooth are enabled under Settings > Wi-Fi and Settings > Bluetooth.
  1. If CarPlay doesn't activate automatically, look for the CarPlay logo on your car's display.
  2. Restart your iPhone and your car. 
  3. Make sure that Siri is on.
  4. If your iPhone isn't detected by CarPlay, make sure that CarPlay isn't restricted. Go to Settings > Screen Time > Content & Privacy Restrictions, tap Allowed Apps and make sure that CarPlay is enabled.
  5. Go to Settings > General > CarPlay, tap your car, then tap Forget This Car. Then set up CarPlay again.
  6. Make sure that your CarPlay stereo is using the latest firmware from the car manufacturer. Check your car's manual for more information.

Is there an actual solution to this or is it something we'll just have to live with as long as CarPlay exists? Sure would be nice to be able to charge my phone in my car without constantly being distracted from driving because my eyes are focused on switching back to the radio.

iPhone XR, iOS 14

Posted on Apr 8, 2021 6:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 9, 2021 6:35 AM

Hello ATL85,

It sounds like CarPlay is switching to your iPhone as the audio source instead of using the CarPlay entertainment system. We'd like to help you out with this further.

If you've tried all of the steps you mentioned above, including making sure your stereo is running the latest firmware from the manufacturer, we recommend trying these steps next:

1. Forget the stereo from Settings > General > CarPlay > [stereo name].
  2. Forget the iPhone from the settings (stereo user guide for instructions).
  3. Rename the iPhone in Settings > General > About > Name.
  4. Reset network settings on the iPhone in Settings > General > Reset. This also resets Wi-Fi networks and passwords, cellular settings, and VPN and APN settings that you’ve used before.

Connect your iPhone to your stereo again and test it out. If the same thing happens the next best step would be to factory reset the vehicle stereo and test again. You may need to contact the car manufacturer for steps on how to do that. If further help is needed afterwards reach out to Apple Support: Get Support

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

Take care.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 9, 2021 6:35 AM in response to ATL85

Hello ATL85,

It sounds like CarPlay is switching to your iPhone as the audio source instead of using the CarPlay entertainment system. We'd like to help you out with this further.

If you've tried all of the steps you mentioned above, including making sure your stereo is running the latest firmware from the manufacturer, we recommend trying these steps next:

1. Forget the stereo from Settings > General > CarPlay > [stereo name].
  2. Forget the iPhone from the settings (stereo user guide for instructions).
  3. Rename the iPhone in Settings > General > About > Name.
  4. Reset network settings on the iPhone in Settings > General > Reset. This also resets Wi-Fi networks and passwords, cellular settings, and VPN and APN settings that you’ve used before.

Connect your iPhone to your stereo again and test it out. If the same thing happens the next best step would be to factory reset the vehicle stereo and test again. You may need to contact the car manufacturer for steps on how to do that. If further help is needed afterwards reach out to Apple Support: Get Support

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

Take care.

CarPlay keeps changing audio source

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.