You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is it Safe to Charge from a USB C Docking Station or Monitor?

I know that USB type C charging could be unsafe, both for the user (fire hazard) and for the battery. I remember when I had my Pixel XL it was almost impossible to find a charger that was considered safe.

Has this changed since?

How do I know if a docking station that charges my laptop via USB C would be safe to use?

Also - what about USB C monitors that charge the laptop? Can I use them as a docking station? How do I know if they are safe?

Thanks

MacBook Air (2020 or later)

Posted on Apr 8, 2021 11:26 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 8, 2021 11:35 AM

Hey! It is fine to charge your Mac from a USB dock, HOWEVER, I'd stick with some reputable companies that include: Anker, Dell, Caldigit, or any of the ones Apple sells from their website. The same thing applies for monitors, and I charge my MBA 2020 with a USB dock in Clamshell with no issue.

6 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 8, 2021 11:35 AM in response to TalSOrbach

Hey! It is fine to charge your Mac from a USB dock, HOWEVER, I'd stick with some reputable companies that include: Anker, Dell, Caldigit, or any of the ones Apple sells from their website. The same thing applies for monitors, and I charge my MBA 2020 with a USB dock in Clamshell with no issue.

Apr 8, 2021 1:29 PM in response to vk7125

"Trusted", though - that's the part that I'm seeking clarity about. i.e. I know that if the dock and cable are trusted, I can charge my laptop through the same port, my question is in regards to what I can and cannot trust.

And, if I understand you correctly, you're saying that pretty much any brand that isn't completely obscure should be fine, right?

Is it Safe to Charge from a USB C Docking Station or Monitor?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.