Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Icloud Backup

Hello

I have been uploading my photos to the icloud daily, and now i want to delete some photos from my phone but i want it still in my icloud i have turned on “optimise Iphone storage” also unfortunately still if i delete it from photos it is not there on icloud.. need help

iPhone XS Max, iOS 14

Posted on Apr 9, 2021 1:16 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 9, 2021 4:21 PM

hisham185 wrote:

i don’t think so you understood it. i want to delete it from my photos in the Iphone but not from icloud. i want to keep those as a backup in icloud. So that i have more space on my phone 🥺

This is not a feature of the iCloud Photo Library.

It is not off device storage, but a syncing service, working as designed to keep the entire photo library synced between devices.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 9, 2021 4:21 PM in response to hisham185

hisham185 wrote:

i don’t think so you understood it. i want to delete it from my photos in the Iphone but not from icloud. i want to keep those as a backup in icloud. So that i have more space on my phone 🥺

This is not a feature of the iCloud Photo Library.

It is not off device storage, but a syncing service, working as designed to keep the entire photo library synced between devices.

Apr 9, 2021 1:28 PM in response to hisham185

Correct, as according to:

Delete photos on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - https://support.apple.com/HT205856

- "When you use iCloud Photos and delete a photo or video on one device, it's also deleted on all other devices where you're signed in with the same Apple ID."

- "If you accidentally delete a photo or video, you have 30 days to get it back from your Recently Deleted album.

Apr 9, 2021 7:46 PM in response to hisham185

I did understand but what you want to do isn't what iCloud does. How it actually works is what that Apple document is saying. If you use iCloud to sync and delete a photo in one place it will delete in all, including iCloud. iCloud just saves you space through optimization by keeping a full quality photo in iCloud while keeping a reduced quality and smaller copy on your device. The photo, albeit in different qualities, is both in iCloud and on your device at the same time, or on neither. iCloud isn't a hard drive in the sky.

Icloud Backup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.