Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

An Update is required to activate your iPhone

iPhone XS, I restored my old phone to set it up for my son. After the reset I get the above message and itunes won't recognise the phone either

iPhone XS

Posted on Apr 9, 2021 1:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 9, 2021 1:21 PM

First of all:

beckybex123 wrote:

I restored my old phone to set it up for my son.

More is required. Your son requires his own Apple ID, regardless of his age. The iPhone should be completely cleansed as follows:

What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Then:

Help your child set up an iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Family Sharing and Apple ID for your child - Apple Support

Regarding your other issue:

itunes won't recognise the phone either

iTunes ... where? On a Mac? A Windows machine? What iTunes version number? What operating system name and version number?

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 9, 2021 1:21 PM in response to beckybex123

First of all:

beckybex123 wrote:

I restored my old phone to set it up for my son.

More is required. Your son requires his own Apple ID, regardless of his age. The iPhone should be completely cleansed as follows:

What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Then:

Help your child set up an iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Family Sharing and Apple ID for your child - Apple Support

Regarding your other issue:

itunes won't recognise the phone either

iTunes ... where? On a Mac? A Windows machine? What iTunes version number? What operating system name and version number?

An Update is required to activate your iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.