Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Locked notes not giving me the option to use face as password

The otherday my face ID didn't want to unlock my locked notes, after a couple of tries it then asked for a password. I don't recall setting up a password, all I remember was locking my notes through face ID. Now I can not access my locked notes, as I don't seem to have the correct password, is there any way to get them unlocked. I have very important information on there, I do not want to lose it.

iPhone 11 Pro, iOS 14

Posted on Apr 9, 2021 9:43 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 9, 2021 10:08 PM

I don't recall setting up a password, all I remember was locking my notes through face ID.

The password was set up before you used face ID to lock/unlock.

https://support.apple.com/en-ca/guide/iphone/iphf177bb154/ios

2 replies

Apr 9, 2021 10:25 PM in response to skatvr

As indicated in the above reply, it is good that you used secure data encryption to protect your important notes, and the password associated with those notes is the encryption key. Unfortunately, Face ID and Touch ID—just as is the case with unlocking an iPhone—are only a means to avoid entering the encryption key quite as often. Without that key, that same secure encryption means you cannot access that data, nor can anybody else. Not without that key; not without the decryption password.

Locked notes not giving me the option to use face as password

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.