Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Blinking folder - unsuccessfully tried common solutions

So a few days ago I was updating my MacBook Pro late 2013 (i know it’s old but still works fine) and suddenly it couldn’t boot properly anymore. I did see the apple logo and the log-in option but when i logged in it stayed at the 100% loading screen. After trying some stuff even that got worse and now I have a blinking folder when booting. I ofcourse have tried all the “usual” options. When opening disk utility and verifying / reparing i get an error saying that the Disk Utility can’t repair the disk and that i need to reformat the disk, when i click on “erase” i get an error saying “Disk Erase failed” with the error “file system formatter failed”. I also tried to reinstall OS X but when i get to the screen where I need to select a disk to install OS X on, there are no disks showing. Earlier i got the option to install it on a disk but after fully downloading, i got an error.

I honestly have no more clue what to do, do any of you guys know what the reason for this is and how i can fix this? Thanks in advance

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Apr 10, 2021 5:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 10, 2021 6:15 AM

SamCollee123 wrote:

and is there a fix to that?

Try booting externally from a boot clone or Time Machine as a test... to bypass the internal SSD

You can Boot into Internet Recovery (Option Command R) and from the dropdown menu: Utilities>  Disk Utility> run the First Aid on your Macintosh HD (and the "Macintosh HD-Data" volume as well if Catalina/Big Sur) If errors are found and repaired, run again until no errors reported.

Disk Utility>View>Show All Devices The best sequence is —

• Volume level

• Container level

• Parent drive

Internet Recovery: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204904

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 10, 2021 6:15 AM in response to SamCollee123

SamCollee123 wrote:

and is there a fix to that?

Try booting externally from a boot clone or Time Machine as a test... to bypass the internal SSD

You can Boot into Internet Recovery (Option Command R) and from the dropdown menu: Utilities>  Disk Utility> run the First Aid on your Macintosh HD (and the "Macintosh HD-Data" volume as well if Catalina/Big Sur) If errors are found and repaired, run again until no errors reported.

Disk Utility>View>Show All Devices The best sequence is —

• Volume level

• Container level

• Parent drive

Internet Recovery: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204904

Apr 10, 2021 5:39 AM in response to SamCollee123

SamCollee123 wrote:

So a few days ago I was updating my MacBook Pro late 2013 (i know it’s old but still works fine) and suddenly it couldn’t boot properly anymore. I did see the apple logo and the log-in option but when i logged in it stayed at the 100% loading screen. After trying some stuff even that got worse and now I have a blinking folder when booting. I ofcourse have tried all the “usual” options. When opening disk utility and verifying / reparing i get an error saying that the Disk Utility can’t repair the disk and that i need to reformat the disk, when i click on “erase” i get an error saying “Disk Erase failed” with the error “file system formatter failed”. I also tried to reinstall OS X but when i get to the screen where I need to select a disk to install OS X on, there are no disks showing. Earlier i got the option to install it on a disk but after fully downloading, i got an error.

I honestly have no more clue what to do, do any of you guys know what the reason for this is and how i can fix this? Thanks in advance

Sounds like the hard drive has failed.

Blinking folder - unsuccessfully tried common solutions

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.