Related Article: Use your Siri Remote or Apple TV Remote with Apple TV

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My AppleTV remote (4th generation) turns on my Samsung TV Series 7 but it does not turn it off. Help.

My AppleTV remote (4th generation) turns on my Samsung TV Series 7 but it does not turn it off. Help.

Apple TV (4th generation)

Posted on Apr 10, 2021 9:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 10, 2021 9:16 AM

Verify that HDMI-CEC is active on both devices.

Control your TV or receiver with your Siri Remote or Apple TV Remote - Apple Support

Verify with Samsung that your TV supports being set to standby through HDMI-CEC from other devices.

It is not the remote that does this directly, but through the Apple TV box.

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 10, 2021 9:16 AM in response to Gustoii

Verify that HDMI-CEC is active on both devices.

Control your TV or receiver with your Siri Remote or Apple TV Remote - Apple Support

Verify with Samsung that your TV supports being set to standby through HDMI-CEC from other devices.

It is not the remote that does this directly, but through the Apple TV box.

Apr 12, 2021 5:01 PM in response to lkrupp

Thanks. And yes the Apple TV remote does turn ON the Apple TV (4th generation) and the Samsung TV Series 7; but when I hold the TV/Home/Control Center button on the Apple remote, and then tap the Touch Surface all it turns OFF is the Apple TV box and it switches from the Apple HDMI input to the television antenna input with the Samsung TV remaining on. To turn off the TV, I have to use the Samsung TV remote. What am I doing wrong? Thanks again.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.