Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad 8th gen image retention problem

Hi,

I have got the new 8th gen iPad few months ago. I am mainly using it for note taking and video streaming. I realized that even if I let the screen show a static image for 3-5 minutes, it becames visible even after I close the image. It is especially visible on the darker sides of the screen. My wallpaper is quite colorful so I didn't realize the problem at first. But when I open a darker background, I can see the image or letters that persists on the screen. It fades away after 2-3 minutes.

Given the fact that I am using it for taking, I am opening lots of articles and books on my iPad so I am bit worried about the health of the screen. Any ideas? Should I contact with Apple support?

iPad, iPadOS 14

Posted on Apr 11, 2021 2:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 19, 2021 1:07 PM

I have this issue too with my 8th Generation iPad and under UK consumer law I am able to get a refund if I have had a previous unsuccessful repair, I just so happened to have about 2 months ago have the iPad replaced for previous display issues so I’m going to be going down that route and then purchasing the exact same product again so I can get a refreshed warranty as I would have otherwise taken a replacement but after 2 failed devices I’d prefer as long a warranty as possible!

Similar questions

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 19, 2021 1:07 PM in response to MichelPM

I have this issue too with my 8th Generation iPad and under UK consumer law I am able to get a refund if I have had a previous unsuccessful repair, I just so happened to have about 2 months ago have the iPad replaced for previous display issues so I’m going to be going down that route and then purchasing the exact same product again so I can get a refreshed warranty as I would have otherwise taken a replacement but after 2 failed devices I’d prefer as long a warranty as possible!

Apr 11, 2021 2:21 AM in response to y9t

To lessen the image persistence, have you considered reducing the screen brightness of your iPad?

This measure alone may help with the image persistence issues and also give your new iPad better battery life.

You should NOT be experiencing ANY screen image persistence issue this early in your iPad usage.

So, clearly, you haven't done anything to the iPad’s screen to help mitigate this issue.

Apr 11, 2021 2:26 AM in response to y9t

If this screen image persistence continues for another week or so, AFTER you have reduced the brightness of your iPad’s screen, come back here and let us know.

You are NOT going to like my fix/solution for this issue IF your iPad’s screen doesn't return to normal after 5-7 days, but it should fix this screen issue for sometime to come.

Apr 11, 2021 2:49 AM in response to y9t

Screen image persistence is NOT normal for tablet devices and especially NOT normal for such a new device with only a few months of usage.

NOT normal!

Keep your screen brightness down to a usable, but somewhat still comfortable level.

Check back in a week if this has NOT fixed itself.

You WILL NOT like the solution I will have for you, but it will work and keep your screen working normal provided that you continue to keep the screen brightness, on your iPad's screen, from anything approaching 100%. brightness.

Good Luck to You!

Apr 20, 2021 7:46 AM in response to jackmitch62

Well I handed in my device to Apple service in my country after I realized that this image problem is getting worse. According to the information they provided, problem was probably software related, so after I reset my iPad when I was handing it to them it had been solved at that moment. They say that there is no problem right now. Device successfully did every computer based test they did. I did not get it if my problem could be solved easily after a basic reset, why didn't official Apple Support guide me to reset my device? Why did I went all the way to service and deprived from my iPad for a day. I am confused. Hope tech guys are right, and my problem is solved though.

Any other ideas? Could it be really software related?

Apr 20, 2021 9:20 AM in response to y9t

This is NOT a software issue.

Screen image persistence/image retention is most definitely a hardware issue.

NOT related to software, at all!

Apple store employees do not know what they are talking about or doing.

Screen issues are screen issues Screens are physical hardware with many thin layers made up of electrically charged components.

I do not think a simple hard reset of your iPad is going to more permanently fix your iPad's screen image persistence issues.

If the image retention returns, here what you are going to need to do.

You are NOT going to like this, but my procedures/process works!

If the image retention returns/persists, you need to charge up your iPad, power it completely down and STOP using that iPad for, AT LEAST, 3 days! 4-5 days is better!

This gives the screen pixels in the iPad time to “de-energise”, themselves and the screen to electrically calm down and return the screen to its original, normal operation.

If you cheat, and turn this iPad back on, to check the screen, only after a day or two and the image retention/persistence quickly returns, you will need to start this entire process from the beginning, once again.

To get rid of the image persistence for a very prolonged period of time, the iPad needs to be powered OFF and NOT used, AT ALL, for 3 days, or so.

Like I stated 4-5 days is better to insure/ensure that the image persistence does NOT return for quite some time.

I have encountered this issue with many of my own various iPad models, over the years, and this is THE ONLY SOLUTION that works!

If you completely turn OFF your iPad and completely STOP and DO NOT USE for 3-4 days, or so, the image persistence should not return for quite some time.

Good Luck to You!

Apr 20, 2021 10:06 AM in response to y9t

DON’T DO IT!

100% screen brightness will make certain that the image persistence WILL return!

Also, full screen brightness directly impacts your battery life.

Your 8th gen iPad will never get 8-10 hours of battery life with screen brightness at 100%.

With 100% screen brightness, you will be lucky if your iPad gets 5-6 hours of battery life.

Adjust your overall room brightness to compensate for the lower screen brightness.

Apr 21, 2021 3:49 AM in response to MichelPM

Got my iPad back. Image retention still exists but it is better in a sense I guess. Maybe it is my eyes cannot identify it, maybe it really got better. I don't know.

I will try your method. Charged up my iPad to 90%, and I will leave it for 3 days, or 4 if I do not need it. Due to the National holiday coming up I am not able to took it to another service, they are all closed so I will give it a shot. If it works, I will let you and everyone know. Maybe it helps people experiencing the same issue.

Will try to use it at 80% brightness as well.

iPad 8th gen image retention problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.