Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook getting really hot doing basic tasks

Hey guys!

I got myself the best MacBook available in my country (South Africa) and it cost me a lot of money. But doing the most basic tasks (Excel and Safari) it gets really hot and the fans get really loud. I have only had it for about 4 months and it is still under warranty.

Do you think I should take it to the iStore or should I try some things to see what is wrong?

Thanks in advance!

MacBook Pro (2020 and later)

Posted on Apr 11, 2021 10:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 11, 2021 10:32 AM

Software can cause increased heat. So can your workstation layout.

Software:

Software like anti-virus and so-called "cleaning" apps will run up internal temps, and are totally unneeded. The Chrome browser has reputation a a resource hog. Even leaving it open in the background can fin it demanding resources and that runs up temps. If you must use Chrome, quit it when not using it.

Videoconferencing WILL run up temps on most computers. Levels with Zoom or Webex can be as high as those generated by many hi-res graphics games. I have a fan control program on my iMac and my MacBook Pro that I use to manually set up the fan speed before I start conferencing.

Workstation:

The MB must breathe. The critical area that must be unobstructed is the hinge area. All MBPs push exhaust air out that area, and some MBP sub-model also take air in there. On others the air intakes are low on the sides as shown here:

from iFixit.com

Using the computer on a soft surface like your lap, a pilow or blanket will compromise the computer cooling abilities. Do not use keyboard covers.

More info is in this Apple article:

Keep your Mac notebook within acceptable operating temperatures - Apple Support

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 11, 2021 10:32 AM in response to Spaghetti.King

Software can cause increased heat. So can your workstation layout.

Software:

Software like anti-virus and so-called "cleaning" apps will run up internal temps, and are totally unneeded. The Chrome browser has reputation a a resource hog. Even leaving it open in the background can fin it demanding resources and that runs up temps. If you must use Chrome, quit it when not using it.

Videoconferencing WILL run up temps on most computers. Levels with Zoom or Webex can be as high as those generated by many hi-res graphics games. I have a fan control program on my iMac and my MacBook Pro that I use to manually set up the fan speed before I start conferencing.

Workstation:

The MB must breathe. The critical area that must be unobstructed is the hinge area. All MBPs push exhaust air out that area, and some MBP sub-model also take air in there. On others the air intakes are low on the sides as shown here:

from iFixit.com

Using the computer on a soft surface like your lap, a pilow or blanket will compromise the computer cooling abilities. Do not use keyboard covers.

More info is in this Apple article:

Keep your Mac notebook within acceptable operating temperatures - Apple Support

MacBook getting really hot doing basic tasks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.