Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No Internet on MacBook Pro, WiFi ok on other devices.

I have a MBP 13 inch, early 2015 running Big Sur 11.2.3. The WiFi symbol looks normal but no Internet using any of my three browsers. This manifested a week ago but inexplicably started working normally. Tried it several days later, same lack of Internet. My iPhone hotspot didn’t work either. Three other devices work fine using my cable modem plus my obsolete Apple router. I wouldn’t think it’s the router / modem since it works elsewhere but the intermittent service points me towards the MBP. What are your thoughts? Thank you for your input.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.2

Posted on Apr 11, 2021 6:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 12, 2021 11:53 AM

There are two paths to proceed along:

One is to set up your Wi-Fi connection from scratch. This article tells how to set it up using the concept of network location Files. be sure to NOT use the default name, but create a unique name:

How to use network locations on your Mac - Apple Support

Another way is to assume you have software that is interfering, and use this little "discovery" Utility, Etrecheck, to reveal what might be causing the problems. Launch the application, then change it settings to "allow full disk access", then say GO.

It generates a report that can be posted back here for readers to analyze.

Using EtreCheck to Troubleshoot Potential… - Apple Community.

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 12, 2021 11:53 AM in response to E Chuck

There are two paths to proceed along:

One is to set up your Wi-Fi connection from scratch. This article tells how to set it up using the concept of network location Files. be sure to NOT use the default name, but create a unique name:

How to use network locations on your Mac - Apple Support

Another way is to assume you have software that is interfering, and use this little "discovery" Utility, Etrecheck, to reveal what might be causing the problems. Launch the application, then change it settings to "allow full disk access", then say GO.

It generates a report that can be posted back here for readers to analyze.

Using EtreCheck to Troubleshoot Potential… - Apple Community.

Apr 12, 2021 9:12 AM in response to E Chuck

Sure but DO NOT collect a "diagnostics report". It is not a human readable report, it is a DUMP of every setting that could possibly impact Wifi performance, and completely unfiltered with NO Conclusions. It is intended to be sent to an Apple Network Engineer for analysis.

--------

See if a proxy is being invoked:

System preferences > Network > WiFi > (advanced) | proxies ...

should show Nothing checked and ONLY this in the Bypass Proxy settings box:

*.local, 169.254/16

Apr 12, 2021 10:34 AM in response to E Chuck

Restart in Safe Mode and attempt to connect.

"Works in Safe Mode, but NOT in Regular mode" means, "It's something you added".

This is because safe mode loads only a minimal set of Apple-only extensions, and takes defaults for whatever it can. Safe mode does not load graphics acceleration extensions, so screen redraw will be wonky and slow, but ultimately correct.

No Internet on MacBook Pro, WiFi ok on other devices.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.