Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cover Art won't display on iMac - both Apple Music and Apple TV

OK...

I've seen a LOT of questions of this nature, and even followed instructions on quite a few of them, but I am now officially perplexed by my issue.

I have a mid-2019 iMac 5K running Big Sur 11.2.3.

Some time ago, after upgrading to Big Sur, my Music Library, although still intact, decided to stop displaying cover art.

I have deleted the Music Library (begrudgingly, as all the info regarding dates added to the collection, etc.), was lost. I've changed and rebuilt music libraries, (all my music and movie files are stored on external drives), and even recently, did a complete reinstall of Big Sur, and then a restore from a Time Machine backup.

But my Cover Art still will not display. And I am completely OCD about it - if Apple Music has been unable to find and download cover art, I have found it and added it myself, in the past. Out of tens of thousands of albums and singles, there would be less than 1% without some sort of "art".

If I go in to "Info" on an album, and I have previously added cover art in there, double clicking the art will add it to the main upper playing screen with a tiny icon of art, but the main larger art box will not display anything.

On some of the albums, if I choose Clear downloaded artwork" (even though NOTHING is visible), then art actually DOES appear - but once again, only in the upper screen, as a tiny icon.

I have also tried signing out of my Apple ID, closing music, restarting, and signing in again, as well as selecting "All Songs", and then going in to the Library to "Download Cover Art" - and even though it shows it's going through this process, I still have NO Cover Art whatsoever.

I don't want to have to go to the point of resetting back to Factory Settings and then setting up the iMac as a new machine, as there would be some settings and documents that I probably would not be able to transfer across from the Time Machine backup, without doing a full restore.

I hope I've managed to explain myself OK here... long winded, I know, but.... you'll see screenshots below to give you a further clue on what I mean...

Cheers!

(You can see the tiny art icon up top, but not in the main display)

Feel free to judge my taste in music... LOL

But as you can see, not a single album displays art!!! 😳

iMac 27″, macOS 11.2

Posted on Apr 11, 2021 10:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 17, 2021 6:44 AM

Sensational.

That was it.

I deleted the folder, removed it from the recycle bin, restarted the iMac, and then started the process of rebuilding the library of art.

It took some time - in fact, during the first try, it completely broke the iMac, and forced a reboot! And it's taken a few attempts at selecting all songs, and going in to the "Download Cover Art" function of the Library menu. But it's doing it... slowly - but I can see art now.

So thank you VERY much for your assistance!!! 😀

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 17, 2021 6:44 AM in response to turingtest2

Sensational.

That was it.

I deleted the folder, removed it from the recycle bin, restarted the iMac, and then started the process of rebuilding the library of art.

It took some time - in fact, during the first try, it completely broke the iMac, and forced a reboot! And it's taken a few attempts at selecting all songs, and going in to the "Download Cover Art" function of the Library menu. But it's doing it... slowly - but I can see art now.

So thank you VERY much for your assistance!!! 😀

Cover Art won't display on iMac - both Apple Music and Apple TV

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.