Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I just bought a MacBook Air w M1. Is there any way to use 2 external monitors or is it impossible?

I recently bought a MacAir w/ the M1 chip. I had intended to use this for work but i have to have 2 external monitors. i thought i could use my Dell Docking Station, but it's only allowing the use of one. If I put the other monitor directly into the other port in the laptop, will it work?

MacBook Air (2020 or later)

Posted on Apr 12, 2021 5:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 12, 2021 7:18 AM

From this document: Use multiple displays with your Mac - https://support.apple.com/HT202351

-->

"If you're using a Mac with Apple silicon, you can connect a single external display to your Mac using one of the Thunderbolt / USB 4 ports. Docks don't increase the number of displays you can connect as an extended desktop."

A M1 Mac Mini can support an additional display because it also has a HDMI port.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 12, 2021 7:18 AM in response to Macairdisplay

From this document: Use multiple displays with your Mac - https://support.apple.com/HT202351

-->

"If you're using a Mac with Apple silicon, you can connect a single external display to your Mac using one of the Thunderbolt / USB 4 ports. Docks don't increase the number of displays you can connect as an extended desktop."

A M1 Mac Mini can support an additional display because it also has a HDMI port.

Apr 12, 2021 8:35 AM in response to Macairdisplay

Lightning? Do you mean USB ports? No, that's to what that document is referring. You can plus a display into each one but one of them won't work because the M1 line currently only supports a single display. Some people have been talking about using a third party device to use two but I haven't been following those discussions.

I just bought a MacBook Air w M1. Is there any way to use 2 external monitors or is it impossible?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.