Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The file can't be found.

Hello, hope everyone is safe and healthy out there. I recently am getting an error message on my Mac. It is very generic and I can't associate it with anything? When I click on the question mark it links to a blank page. It usually appears after logging in, but at times it will randomly pop up also. Any ideas?

Posted on Apr 12, 2021 10:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 13, 2021 7:50 AM

Howdy,

Since the error usually appears after logging in, it sounds like something to do with one of your login items. Either it, or a file needed for one of the login items is missing.

Go to System Preferences > Users & Groups > Your Name (left) > Login Items (top)

See what opens upon login.

If there is something you know you don't need to open at login, you can remove it and test (restart),

else remember what is there (screenshot?), and remove one at a time, test, and add it back in afterwards if no change.

If you find something causing the error, try reinstalling it to get all the needed files back.

ivan

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 13, 2021 7:50 AM in response to Rany

Howdy,

Since the error usually appears after logging in, it sounds like something to do with one of your login items. Either it, or a file needed for one of the login items is missing.

Go to System Preferences > Users & Groups > Your Name (left) > Login Items (top)

See what opens upon login.

If there is something you know you don't need to open at login, you can remove it and test (restart),

else remember what is there (screenshot?), and remove one at a time, test, and add it back in afterwards if no change.

If you find something causing the error, try reinstalling it to get all the needed files back.

ivan

Apr 21, 2021 6:06 AM in response to benitezbiz

When referring to "multiple", is it a finite number of Smiley Mac windows or do they multiply?

After shutting down and restarting, does the Mac report that something went wrong, like it was improperly shutdown, and does it offer to report incident to Apple?

Instead of shutting down, have you tried Force Quit (command-option-esc), see https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201276 . In Big Sur, iPhone Sync functions are accessible through the Finder and Music apps, you may need to Force Quit the Finder if it's causing the issue, ...

Please note; from personal experience, even though force quitting the Finder may stop the multiple alerts, it might render the machine unstable and will require a restart.

Unless you're already doing so, back up your Mac and contact Apple Support. Here's info on backing-up https://support.apple.com/guide/macbook-air/back-up-and-restore-apdc6980d3be/mac

I hope this proves helpful

The file can't be found.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.