Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When I signed up for icloud and photos backup, the storage on my iphone went way down. I want to keep all my photos on my iphone - icloud is a backup. But when I look at storage on my iphone it could not include all my photos - it's too small.

before I signed up for icloud photos backup I had over 100GB of photos on my iphone. Now my iphone storage is showing only 37GB used. My intent was to keep all my photos on my iPhone and icloud is a backup - but 37GB says my photos are not there. If I turn on airplane mode, I can still see all my photos - so I don't understand what's going on. Why did my iphone storage go way down?

iPhone 12 Pro, iOS 14

Posted on Apr 13, 2021 7:29 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 13, 2021 8:59 PM

iCloud Photos is not a backup service. It is designed to sync your photos on all your devices. For more info, see:

Get help with iCloud Photos - Apple Support

When you turn on iCloud Photos, all of your photos and videos are securely stored in iCloud. So they are no longer included in your iCloud backup. However, if you delete a photo on any device it is deleted on all your devices (including iCloud).

If you have Optimize Storage turned on, you might not have all of your original photos and videos on your device. To download the original photos and videos on your iOS device, go to Settings > [your name] > iCloud > Photos and select Download and Keep Originals. See the 'Store your photos and videos in iCloud' section in:

Manage your photo and video storage - Apple Support

"With Optimize Storage, smaller, space-saving photos and videos are kept on your device while all of your original, full-resolution versions are stored in iCloud. And as long as you have enough space in iCloud, you can store as many photos and videos as you want."

From what you describe, you do not want to use the Optimize storage setting or even use iCloud Photos at all. Instead simply turn off Optimize storage and iCloud Photos and include the photos as part of your normal Cloud backup. For more info, see:

What does iCloud back up? - Apple Support

and the 'Manage your iCloud Backup' section in:

Manage your iCloud storage - Apple Support

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 13, 2021 8:59 PM in response to 3010J808

iCloud Photos is not a backup service. It is designed to sync your photos on all your devices. For more info, see:

Get help with iCloud Photos - Apple Support

When you turn on iCloud Photos, all of your photos and videos are securely stored in iCloud. So they are no longer included in your iCloud backup. However, if you delete a photo on any device it is deleted on all your devices (including iCloud).

If you have Optimize Storage turned on, you might not have all of your original photos and videos on your device. To download the original photos and videos on your iOS device, go to Settings > [your name] > iCloud > Photos and select Download and Keep Originals. See the 'Store your photos and videos in iCloud' section in:

Manage your photo and video storage - Apple Support

"With Optimize Storage, smaller, space-saving photos and videos are kept on your device while all of your original, full-resolution versions are stored in iCloud. And as long as you have enough space in iCloud, you can store as many photos and videos as you want."

From what you describe, you do not want to use the Optimize storage setting or even use iCloud Photos at all. Instead simply turn off Optimize storage and iCloud Photos and include the photos as part of your normal Cloud backup. For more info, see:

What does iCloud back up? - Apple Support

and the 'Manage your iCloud Backup' section in:

Manage your iCloud storage - Apple Support

When I signed up for icloud and photos backup, the storage on my iphone went way down. I want to keep all my photos on my iphone - icloud is a backup. But when I look at storage on my iphone it could not include all my photos - it's too small.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.