Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari hangs when saving a pdf

this is a long running issue (across multiple versions of OS and Safari) and I don't have time to troubleshoot it but it is very annoying. I end up force quitting safari each time. The behaviour is as follows:

I get a link to a pdf say in an email (or on a web page). I open this in safari and then 'save as' to store it on my machine. (It prints fine with no issue) Then safari appears to hang (no response, fans eventually start speeding up). I have to select another app and then force quit safari. I do find that it did actually save the pdf file to my disk. So it seems to hang after performing this part of the operation.

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Posted on Apr 14, 2021 3:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 14, 2021 4:34 AM

Go step by step and test.

1. Restart your Mac.

Launch Safari holding the shift key down and test.

2 Startup in  safe mode to try to isolate the cause of the issue.

• Select your account and login.
  • Test.

To leave Safe Mode, click Apple logo   in the menu bar and choose “Restart”.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT20126

Test.

3. Reset  SMC:   How to reset the SMC of your Mac - Apple Support   Choose the appropriate method.

Resetting the system management controller (SMC) can resolve certain issues related to power,

battery, fans, and other features.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 14, 2021 4:34 AM in response to JohnFIRL

Go step by step and test.

1. Restart your Mac.

Launch Safari holding the shift key down and test.

2 Startup in  safe mode to try to isolate the cause of the issue.

• Select your account and login.
  • Test.

To leave Safe Mode, click Apple logo   in the menu bar and choose “Restart”.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT20126

Test.

3. Reset  SMC:   How to reset the SMC of your Mac - Apple Support   Choose the appropriate method.

Resetting the system management controller (SMC) can resolve certain issues related to power,

battery, fans, and other features.

Safari hangs when saving a pdf

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.