Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IPhone 7 microphone not working

Yesterday the microphone on my iPhone 7 abruptly stopped working. I can still hear videos from my phone and send and receive texts, but I can’t record sound on a video or voice message. I can make and receive calls, but neither end can hear each other unless I’m connected to my car’s audio or Bluetooth, and I can’t send or answer FaceTime calls. There isn’t any muffled or distorted sound in calls; it’s totally silent. It doesn’t seem to be an account problem. I tried googling what’s going on, but it doesn’t appear to be a problem with audio settings on my phone that I can change, and rebooting my phone did not fix the problem. Any ideas?

Posted on Apr 15, 2021 12:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 16, 2021 11:08 AM

Hi an2345,

Thanks for reaching out to us here in Apple Support Communities! We understand you're unable to make calls on your iPhone, and we'd like to help.

To clarify, did you try following the steps below?

If the microphones on your iPhone aren't working

What happens when you try to use the Voice Memos app? If the microphone or speaker is grayed out, please let us know and we'll work from there.

Have a great day.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 16, 2021 11:08 AM in response to an2345

Hi an2345,

Thanks for reaching out to us here in Apple Support Communities! We understand you're unable to make calls on your iPhone, and we'd like to help.

To clarify, did you try following the steps below?

If the microphones on your iPhone aren't working

What happens when you try to use the Voice Memos app? If the microphone or speaker is grayed out, please let us know and we'll work from there.

Have a great day.

Apr 16, 2021 3:20 PM in response to Amanda239_91

Yes, I have done all of these steps, and my phone will not allow me to record sound at all including within the voice memo app or in videos. It does work if I am connected to Apple CarPlay through my car’s aux, but if I remove the USB cord, my phone itself will not even let me start the recording button in voice memo. It does gray out the speakerphone during any attempted phone calls. In the voice memo app, the “record” button remains red but when I push it, nothing happens.

IPhone 7 microphone not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.