Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Active phone call blanks screen

During an active phone call my iPhone 11 blanks the screen and it is almost impossible to bring it back until the call ends. This is very inconvenient if I am speaking to someone and need to reference a document or email during the conversation since I can't gain access to the screen during the call.

iPhone 11, iOS 14

Posted on Apr 15, 2021 5:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 15, 2021 5:59 PM

There is a proximity sensor that blanks the screen when you hold the phone to your face so your face doesn’t touch any buttons and possibly terminate the call or change other settings. When you are not holding the phone to your face it should turn the screen back on. If it isn’t doing that most likely your case or screen protector is blocking that sensor, which is near the top edge of the screen.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 15, 2021 5:59 PM in response to BlakeC01

There is a proximity sensor that blanks the screen when you hold the phone to your face so your face doesn’t touch any buttons and possibly terminate the call or change other settings. When you are not holding the phone to your face it should turn the screen back on. If it isn’t doing that most likely your case or screen protector is blocking that sensor, which is near the top edge of the screen.

Active phone call blanks screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.