Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Screen Use Is Lost During Calls

This just started happening recently(maybe just after the last update - 13.4.1), but I lose the use of the screen during phone calls. If I make a call, right after I hit send, the screen will instantly go black. The call will go through and I can talk to the person on the other end, but I don't have use of any phone functions until the other person hangs up. Then the screen will illuminate again and things go back to normal. The same happens if I receive a call. Once I accept an incoming call, the exact same thing happens. I don't have the ability to use the speaker-phone, or the keypad, etc. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? I need to be able to use the keypad during some calls, so any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Posted on May 2, 2020 12:44 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 2, 2020 12:55 PM

Perheps there is something (cover or, most likely, screen protector) that obstructs (interferes with) your "proximity sensor", located in the notch close to the earpiece in the upper center of your screen). Try removing it.

When done, restart your iPhone.

Regards

Giulio

3 replies

May 2, 2020 2:01 PM in response to ProustGiulio

So, the same case(with screen protector) has been on my iPhone since day one, and I've never had this issue until just very recently. But, I tried your suggestion and removed my phone from the case, gave everything a clean, restarted it, and then made a call. The screen stayed on like it should. So I put it all back together and made another call. This time I lost the screen again so I was thinking you're right about the case. However, by fluke, I tried making a call with the case on, but the flap by the charge-port open, and the screen display stayed. Closed the flap, and the screen display disappeared. It's wonky, but it appears that if the flap on the case is open I will be able to have screen options when making calls like normal. Hopefully it lasts. Thanks for the helpful reply!

May 2, 2020 2:21 PM in response to PommeDeNewb

Glad it helped :)

The normal behavior of a proximity sensor (when you move your iphone close to your ear the screen goes black, but as you move the device far from your ear the screen and its buttons should reappear) can be compromised by covers and/or screen protectors. It happened to me too.

Last year, when I switched my 7 to my current XR (my first iPhone with the notch) I had to change 3 screen glass protectors before finding the one that does cover the notch too, but it doesn't interfere with sensors or front camera. I spent €13.50 (instead of standard €7-9 price) but it was worth it.

Giulio

Screen Use Is Lost During Calls

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.