Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I stream Amazon Video in HD from my Macbook Pro HDMI out to my TV?

I can't stream HD from the HDMI out of my Macbook Pro to my Sony XBR 55X900E TV because of HDCP issues . When I plug an HDMI cable into my Macbook Pro, HD become unavailable on Amazon Video. I get the message:

"HD unavailable. Your video will play in standard definition because your computer hardware, HDMI cables, and display must all meet content protection (HDCP) requirements for HD video. For more information go to our help section."

Troubleshooted with Xbox X high speed HDMI cable, and other HDMI cables. Tried all the HDMI inputs on my TV and nothing streams in HD from Amazon Video.

Macbook Pro Retina 15-inch mid 2015 with OS X El Capitan 10.11.6

Sony XBR 55X900E TV

Do I need to buy an Apple TV or other device to stream HD protected by HDCP to my TV?

Thank you!

MacBook Pro 15″, OS X 10.11

Posted on Apr 15, 2021 5:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 16, 2021 6:51 PM

The TV has to support HDCP, and this Sony model does.

https://www.sony.com/electronics/support/televisions-projectors-lcd-tvs-android-/xbr-55x900e/specifications

You’re on a very old version of macOS, so I’d upgrade your McBook Pro to at least macOS 10.14 Mojave, and try the test again.

(Mojave is the last version that supports both 32- and 64-bit apps, so that upgrade will be the least disruptive. Your Mac does support the current macOS 11 Big Sur release, but all apps have to be 64-bit; use Go64 to check that. Microsoft Office 2011 and earlier are 32-bit apps, and do not work on Catalina and later, for example.)

Failing that, I suspect you’re going to have to contact Amazon Video Support.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 16, 2021 6:51 PM in response to support3567

The TV has to support HDCP, and this Sony model does.

https://www.sony.com/electronics/support/televisions-projectors-lcd-tvs-android-/xbr-55x900e/specifications

You’re on a very old version of macOS, so I’d upgrade your McBook Pro to at least macOS 10.14 Mojave, and try the test again.

(Mojave is the last version that supports both 32- and 64-bit apps, so that upgrade will be the least disruptive. Your Mac does support the current macOS 11 Big Sur release, but all apps have to be 64-bit; use Go64 to check that. Microsoft Office 2011 and earlier are 32-bit apps, and do not work on Catalina and later, for example.)

Failing that, I suspect you’re going to have to contact Amazon Video Support.

Apr 22, 2021 2:34 AM in response to support3567

No, you can't stream Amazon Video / Netflix in 4k 60Hz from MacBook pro mid 2015 HDMI output or Mini DisplayPort. Supports 4k 30Hz max over both HDMI and Mini DisplayPort. Using 4k 30Hz creates mouse lag, resolution needs to be 4k @ 60Hz for smooth response. Amazon/ Netflix seem to cap video streaming to a second monitor at 1080 (maybe for HDCP reasons).

macbook mid-2015 specs

https://support.apple.com/kb/sp719?locale=en_US

mini display to HDMI

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/HHLN2ZM/B/belkin-4k-mini-displayport-to-hdmi-adapter

Will use 1080 resolution for computer to TV with no noticeable lag.

Will use AppleTV for 4k movies / streaming.

Apr 20, 2021 4:09 PM in response to support3567

Well, sorry for the confusion. Amazon Video wasn't playing 4k from my laptop to TV, it was 1080. It appears to be capped at 1080 from HDMI out. Netflix is playing 1080 as well (1920 x 1080) when video is in 4k format.

No longer getting HD unavailable from amazon video quality selection drop down menu, but that's referring to the fact it's in 1080HD (not 4k UHD).

So it looks like:

1. I can't stream 4k from my HDMI out to TV because of incompatible laptop.
  2. connecting laptop to the 4k input on TV made overall picture much more crisp and bright, but did not increase resolution when streaming video on amazon video or Netflix.
  3. no longer getting HD unavailable message in amazon video.
  4. no longer getting HDCP message in amazon video.
  5. mouse still has slight lag connected to 4k input on TV versus non-4k input.
  6. changing settings on apple tv as listed in post directly above fixed amazon video low quality streaming issue.

Apr 16, 2021 6:35 PM in response to Leanne_68

Hi Leanne_68,

Thank you for your response. Are you asking if I can play Amazon Video in HD directly on my Macbook Pro? If so, then yes, I can play HD directly on my laptop. The problem is when I plug an HDMI cable into the port on my laptop the HD function becomes unavailable on Amazon Video.

I wasn't referring to HDR, just HD. My laptop is intel-based 2015 model so it looks like it doesn't support HDR, but it seems like it should support HD on Amazon Video. I think the issue has to do with HDCP protection and going through an external display.

Screenshot of Amazon Video HD unavailable.

Any other suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks!

Apr 17, 2021 12:54 AM in response to MrHoffman

MrHoffman,

Thanks for your response. I upgraded to Mojave 10.14.6 and am experiencing the same problem. I don't want to upgrade to Big Sur because I use some 32 bit apps.

I contacted Amazon and they said Prime Video doesn't support streaming video in HD to a second screen. They also said my system isn't compatible.

It sounds like the streaming services limit streaming quality in browsers to deter piracy. https://www.forbes.com/sites/barrycollins/2020/07/24/whats-the-best-browser-for-netflix-clue-its-not-google-chrome/?sh=37b2a3bc5503

I think my best option is to get a 4k Apple TV. Let me know if there is a better option.

Thanks everyone!

Apr 20, 2021 3:00 PM in response to support3567

Updates with solution! Setup was not as easy on Apple TV as originally thought with regard to getting the settings correct.

The Amazon Video app on my Apple TV was not streaming 4k and was blurry (looked worse than 240p). After much searching I found that my settings were incorrect on the Apple TV. I had the format set to 4k HDR and Match Content set to off. CHANGING THE FORMAT TO 4K SDR AND MATCH CONTENT SETTINGS BOTH ENABLED GOT AMAZON VIDEO WORKING IN 4K ON APPLE TV.

For my original question to get 4k from my HDMI out on MacBook Pro to TV, I stumbled on the solution by complete accident! I was labeling my TV inputs and noticed apparently inputs 2 and 3 on my TV are enhanced for 4k (definitely thought all inputs were 4k). (The setting on my TV Sony XBR 55X900E is press "Home" on remote control>click settings on top right corner>external inputs>HDMI signal format>enhanced format). I plugged my computer into input 2 (instead of 4), and instantly got 4k video from my laptop HDMI out to TV! Ugg! Both exciting and frustrating it was something so simple! Strange that setting is buried in the TV settings. One minor complaint about this versus having on the other input (not in 4k) is my bluetooth mouse seems to have a bit more lag now. Nothing horrible, but noticeable. Will update if I find solution for that.

Hope this helps!

Can I stream Amazon Video in HD from my Macbook Pro HDMI out to my TV?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.