Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Flashing Black Frame

I'm working on Final Cut Pro with the M1 Mac mini 16gb and I have done 3 videos so far with no issues then all of a sudden I drop a clients video on the timeline and start editing and I'm getting a black flicker. I do what anyone would do and I open it in QuickTime to check for a corrupt file. It runs smooth no flicker so I delete all my preferences and all settings in Final Cut and re upload the footage and it's still there. I then drag to footage to premiere on my Windows and no flicker after that I download the footage to my 16" MacBook Pro and drag it to final cut and no issues. So now I'm left thinking it's my Mac so I take some older footage that I edited yesterday and drop it in the timeline and no problems.

So where does this leave me?

Does Final Cut on Mac Mini have issues with all footage - No

Does Final Cut have issues with Client Footage - Yes

Is Client Footage Corrupt - No

Does Client Footage work on Final Cut on Laptop - Yes

Does Client Footage work on Premiere - Yes

Picture below provides what is happening and no I will not cut out the frames as it happens 100+ times within the footage and as this is my full-time job I can't sit here and spend time playing with added frames lol. Thank you to anyone in advanced for the help :)

So this leaves me in an infinite loop of confusion. Can someone please tell me if you've at least had this problem before and is there a fix? Thank you lol

Posted on Apr 16, 2021 9:05 AM

Similar questions

13 replies

Apr 16, 2021 9:19 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Thank you so very much for the quick response this fixed the issue. I'm just now curious as to if I'm going to need to do this each and every time I edit or maybe it was just this one time. I'm also curious if you would know why the Mac Book did not do this yet the Mac mini did. I feel like if it was Variable Frame Rate issue that it would have problems on all devices running Final cut.

Regardless of that you helped solved the issue and I'm very thankful!!

Apr 16, 2021 10:20 AM in response to CoLew_Edits

The clip flickers on an M1 MBP as well. I'm thinking it's the way the graphics work. Is it just coincidence or does the flicker only happen when the image is still. When there's movement or motion on the screen it seems to stop, which makes me think it has to do with the the way the clip is being decoded. If I try to export the file, I get render error at frame 39, which is the first black frame.

Flashing Black Frame

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.